LS engine mounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
What is the storey on 1" set back. Does that mean that some mounts are forward?

I need a complete set. Clamshell and engine mount.

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
LS Engine mounting points on the block are 1" behind from where the SBC mount holes are.
"Setback" mounts put the LS Engine to where the bellhousing flange would be in the same place as the SBC.

About the simplest way to put it, want to know more Google it.

Google search for a set too, millions out there.

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Yeah somehow 'setback' got thrown in the marketing lingo and there is little to description of what setback means relative to OEM stuff. There really isn't a consistent lingo. Some mfg'ers use 'setback' as OEM position, some put it in the OEM position and don't call it anything special, some pull it 1-2" forward and don't call it set forward. It's a mess.

That's actually the first time I have seen 1" setback equated to OEM bellhousing position, good to know.

From what I gather if a supplier sells both 1" set back and a non set back option, assume the 1" set back is OEM position and the non set back option is actually set forward. Some people like to move the LS stuff forward (compared to OEM SBC, buick, olds) as the passenger side valvecover coil bracket will hit an OEM G body AC box in some cases.

There are 4 main ways to do it (in my option)
1. Use a complete kit, say Holley or whatever that supplies both sides brand new totally aftermarket
2. Use a slider frame mount from Dirty Dingo or other which let's you just slide the engine wherever you want to put it
3. Use a fixed position SBC clamshell pad (that trans dapt kit you are looking at)
4. Use a 4th gen LS1 camaro frame mount & a BMR or other steel frame mount. Basically it scraps the clamshell and OEM style frame mounted mount (which I'm not fan of)

Reactions: 1 users

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
I started explaining it in reference to the bellhousing location because that's been the easiest way to get people to see what's trying to be done. The terminology is skewered because you have experienced people combined with the inexperienced trying to word something and one has a clue, the other doesn't. Your average website tech nerd and the sales guy doesn't know what part does what and just posts up the name on the website when it's forsale from their company.

Coming into the LS stuff in late 2006 there were like 3 different mounts out there: 1" setback, non-setback, and sliders. I learned them depending on what car was getting built.

Now you can LS swap a potato. Tons of stuff out there.

Reactions: 1 user

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Google has so many choices, it made even hard to narrow down.
Summit suggested a set of 4206 from Trans Dapt.

There is no mention of set back in the description. I want the eng to trans flange to be like a sbc location.
Those are NON Setback. Easiest way to tell is the holes in the middle of the flanges.

Here is a dual pattern one on ebay, red holes are the NON Setback. Green is 1" back on the plate, puts to OEM Bellhousing position.

20221128_115616.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor