LS Engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WyoKid

Greasemonkey
Jan 24, 2013
What exactly makes a LS engine? Is it just the intake and the design of the heads that make it a "LS" engine or is it more than that. If it is just a design of intake and head, could one essentially take a 307 and make it into a LS engine?

Kansas Bu Wagon

G-Body Guru
Jul 9, 2012
Wichita, Ks
No, you can't put the heads or intake on your 307. Different block design.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
What makes an LS engine an LS engine is the same thing that makes an Olds an Olds, a Buick a Buick, a Pontiac a Pontiac, etc.

It is a completely different architecture than a 307. Asking if you could make a 307 Olds into an LS engine would be akin to asking if you could make an Olds engine into a Chevy engine.

You could take some of the design aspects of an LS engine and modify an Olds engine to match but that doesn't make the 307 an LS.

Case in point, my 455 has an offset ground 425 crank which reduces the rod journal from the stock Olds 2.5" diameter to the Big Block Chevy 2.200" journal. This is an improvement made to reduce bearing speed for better reliability at higher rpm's however it doesn't make my 455 a 454 Chevy.

WyoKid

Greasemonkey
Jan 24, 2013
That's why i asked.
Here's another quick question, what is the actually difference in all the LS engines?

I wasn't saying do it to my 307, i was speaking in general if you could technically make a ls engine out of something else. i just used a 307 as an example because allot of us on here have a 307 in our cars.
there's nothing to say a cant design a similar intake for a 307 though.( i have to much time and nothing to do, so i have been designing intakes and blueprinting engines)

Alex41

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 12, 2013
Hendersonville TN
Nearly all LS based engines can swap parts from 4.8 all the way up to the 7.0. Things like oil pans, front and rear covers, accessories, flywheels, and in most cases even the heads. The first ones, 4.8, 5.3, LS1, LS6 can swap heads from one to another. Once the LS3 and LS7 hit the market, they designed a big port head most commonly known as the L92 head. There are better, more ported, and different valve designs between the models but the base head is still known as the L92. These large port heads incorporate a more canted valve design that will not allow you to use them on the earlier, 4.8, 5.3, LS1, LS6 engines. The reason is that valve will hit the cylinder wall if it is not 4.0 bore or larger. With the large port heads you will need a different intake as the ports on the earlier ones are a "cathedral" style opening.

Great thing about these engines is they can be up to 454ci and still outwardly measure no larger than the 4.8. :mrgreen:

beeterolds

Master Mechanic
Dec 15, 2007
Cleveland ohio 44131
Its it's our specific design and architecture... Ground up design released in 1997... They started designing the block in 1992 as a replacement for the Lotus built LT5 DOHC 350 as well as the LT1/LT4 Gen 2 variants.

Arguably the best all around engine produced by GM...Arguably.. It had big shoes to fill as a replacement for the coveted small block chevy engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor