LS kits

Status
Not open for further replies.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Along with what Streetbu is saying, there’s almost too much info out there, and a bunch of it is interwebs BS.

Just like everything, finding a trusted source is more than 1/2 the battle, then come up with a plan/blueprint and stick with it.

I’ve seen this a plenty when a plan gets changed mid-build. That always goes bad unless the owner has unlimited money. I have a friend that started out trying to build a 9 second car and now has 7.50 second certified chassis with a built short block, turbos, trans, rears and a garage full of parts that need to be assembled. And the best part, he’s $25K in and needs another $5-8K to make it run. It’s a head shaker.

Reactions: 3 users

BuickBroke$

Greasemonkey
Aug 4, 2018
Phoenix AZ
First they sent me misboxed mounts (for C10 truck) then when you place the frame mounts in the location they tell you, the pass side valve cover and coil pack most definitely hits the factory ac box. As you can see in the pic it popped a hole in it that I’ll fix. So needing heat and ac I decided to move the frame mounts to the next set of holes forward. That gave me the heater box clearance but then my power steering pulley hit the steering box. Ordered the “direct fit” 5” pulley off Summit, went to put that on and what a fiasco. To line up the 5” pulley with the rest of the pulleys you have to push it past flush by about 1/4”, but doing that hit one of the power steering mount bolts. Then the pulley removal jaws wouldn’t reach back far enough since the pulley was past flush so had to turn down the shaft to get the pulley back off. Then ground down the bolt it was hitting and now it finally fits and lines up with the other pulleys. Now I have to compensate the trans mount to make up for the 1” forward the engine sits now. Fun! I completely agree with the other guys on here that if you have the capabilities, make your own setup. Would have saved me a bunch of money. Not to mention the cheap paint/powder coating on the trans mount is all flaking off and I haven’t even test fit it yet! I am happy with the 302-2 oil pan though, it’s a nice piece.

Someone asked if the pic represents where the mounts are now. No, that was where Holley said to put them which left no room for heater box. If you zoom in you can see another set of holes towards the front of the car, that’s where the mounts are now and has heater box clearance, but requires swapping the power steering pulley. I realize that all these cars have a bit of manufacturing differences, so some might not need this.

Reactions: 1 user

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
First they sent me misboxed mounts (for C10 truck) then when you place the frame mounts in the location they tell you, the pass side valve cover and coil pack most definitely hits the factory ac box. As you can see in the pic it popped a hole in it that I’ll fix. So needing heat and ac I decided to move the frame mounts to the next set of holes forward. That gave me the heater box clearance but then my power steering pulley hit the steering box. Ordered the “direct fit” 5” pulley off Summit, went to put that on and what a fiasco. To line up the 5” pulley with the rest of the pulleys you have to push it past flush by about 1/4”, but doing that hit one of the power steering mount bolts. Then the pulley removal jaws wouldn’t reach back far enough since the pulley was past flush so had to turn down the shaft to get the pulley back off. Then ground down the bolt it was hitting and now it finally fits and lines up with the other pulleys. Now I have to compensate the trans mount to make up for the 1” forward the engine sits now. Fun! I completely agree with the other guys on here that if you have the capabilities, make your own setup. Would have saved me a bunch of money. Not to mention the cheap paint/powder coating on the trans mount is all flaking off and I haven’t even test fit it yet! I am happy with the 302-2 oil pan though, it’s a nice piece.
Wow... Every problem you had, I did not. And you liked the oil pan and I had to clearance mine due to one rod bolt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor