LS Oil Level Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnIL

Greasemonkey
Sep 9, 2020
Central Illinois
We want to add a mechanical oil pressure gauge to the 5.3L in my son's '83 El Camino. We have an adapter that replaces the block off place just above the oil filter:

My question is, can I remove this plate with the engine full of oil? Is the oil level below this plate or will it dump a couple of quarts on the floor?

If the oil level is above this plate, we can easily wait until the next oil change to connect the new oil pressure gauge.

Thanks.
John

Csilvy2000

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2012
Texarkana, AR
You will lose a little bit of oil when you pull the fitting off. It is a good place to install an external oil pressure sending unit. Just tap and thread into the top portion of the adapter and thread the oil pressure gauge sending unit into it. The part is held on with two 10 mm headed bolts. Under this part is a cavity for oil to flow. This cavity must remain unrestricted. Make sure the small gasket is in good shape and bolt it back up after your sending unit install.

Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
You can use the factory block off plate and drill and tap for your pressure sensor or hose. That is a great place get oil supply for the turbo as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

JohnIL

Greasemonkey
Sep 9, 2020
Central Illinois
Mission accomplished. Csilvy2000 was right. When I pulled off the factory plate off, it leaked about half a cup of oil. I had the front of the car about a foot in the air. I don't know if that helped or hurt, but it we didn't loose more than $1 worth of oil. The ICT plate went on with very little fanfare, thanks to the included o-ring seal. The worst part of the job was fighting the coiled up nylon tube through the dash and firewall. And, for the payoff, the new gauge shows 40+ psi of oil pressure at idle. This makes me smile. :)

Reactions: 7 users

JD254

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 1, 2018
Texas
Mission accomplished. Csilvy2000 was right. When I pulled off the factory plate off, it leaked about half a cup of oil. I had the front of the car about a foot in the air. I don't know if that helped or hurt, but it we didn't loose more than $1 worth of oil. The ICT plate went on with very little fanfare, thanks to the included o-ring seal. The worst part of the job was fighting the coiled up nylon tube through the dash and firewall. And, for the payoff, the new gauge shows 40+ psi of oil pressure at idle. This makes me smile. :)
ive heard the nylon leak eventually ran a copper one in my g body

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor