LS pre oiling

Status
Not open for further replies.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
So there is a large plug screwed into the main oil gallery on my LS Orphan which I have been advised has to be removed in order to gain access to the gallery to prelube the motor before initiating a start.

Is this plug going to give me trouble when I go to take it out?

What does the forum recommend by way of a pre-oiler system to use?

Nick

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
I've never pulled that to "pre oil" any of mine. Dump some down the oil sensor hole to fill the valve train galleys because after them goes to the mains and Rods. I also fill the oil pump and spin it around a couple times.

Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I never pre-lube mine junkyard stuff. And I've never had a car run for two seconds before registering oil pressure either. As Built6spdMCSS mentioned, the rockers take a while to get oil to them, especially at idle dry. I put assembly lube on the ends of the pushrods during assembly for that reason. The I watch for oil to be coming out of the rocker under the oil fill.

But I have taken out the oil gallery plug successfully a couple of times. They always look crappy and always come out without issue.

Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
So there is a large plug screwed into the main oil gallery on my LS Orphan which I have been advised has to be removed in order to gain access to the gallery to prelube the motor before initiating a start.

Is this plug going to give me trouble when I go to take it out?

What does the forum recommend by way of a pre-oiler system to use?

Nick
I didn't prime mine when I did the cam swap (engine in the truck) and it was a bit of a bad experience. Before putting the spark plugs in it, I spun it with the starter quite a bit hoping it would pump up the lifters. It didn't work. One hammered for quite a while and caused me some unneeded distress. It finally quieted down and has been fine for 125k miles. I realize I'm the minority. Many don't prime these engines and don't have problems.

When we got ready to crank up the engine in my brother's Camaro (6.0 L96), we primed it, even though it was a used (20k miles) engine. It hadn't run in a few years and we didn't want any problems. We did something similar to this....

I bought a setup online that uses a small, 12V pump that pumps oil up into that galley. It's kind of like a fish tank pump in that it is submerged in the oil when in use. I like the approach on the video above. Probably would have been cheaper.

Reactions: 1 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
My lq4 wouldn't make oil pressure when I first got the swap running. It was an unknown history salvage unit.

I ended up pulling the plug under cylinder #1, hooked a hose up to it & put an oil tank with air on top & 'blasted' some oil through the circuit. Then it made oil pressure. Pump lost prime somehow and wouldn't make pressure?

Honestly if the engine was a known runner I wouldn't mess with it. Only thing I'd worry about is if it doesn't make pressure after 10 seconds of startup or if it is a fresh build.

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
My lq4 wouldn't make oil pressure when I first got the swap running. It was an unknown history salvage unit.

I ended up pulling the plug under cylinder #1, hooked a hose up to it & put an oil tank with air on top & 'blasted' some oil through the circuit. Then it made oil pressure. Pump lost prime somehow and wouldn't make pressure?

Honestly if the engine was a known runner I wouldn't mess with it. Only thing I'd worry about is if it doesn't make pressure after 10 seconds of startup or if it is a fresh build.
Swap to the red O-ring on the pickup tube with anything, that's the new GM recommended method.

My truck picked up 10psi doing this.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Don't bother. If you're that concerned, unplug the coils and crank it over for 20 second with no spark plugs. You'll get oil pressure quick and with no load on it.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
Don't bother. If you're that concerned, unplug the coils and crank it over for 20 second with no spark plugs. You'll get oil pressure quick and with no load on it.
My method also. Works excellent, and primes the fuel system, but you might want to unplug injectors.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
I just unplugged power to the fuel pump

Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I just unplugged power to the fuel pump
Agree, and unplug the 8 pin on each coil harness. I don’t do this for oiling, but it’s exactly as I do for compression testing.

No mess and no inadvertent jolts ;)

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor