LS swap 4l60

Status
Not open for further replies.

84cutDawg

n00b
Aug 29, 2019
So I got this 1984 cutlass supreme right, & I went from a 350/700r to a 5.3ls/4l60e out of a 07silverado. I let a coworker’s brother in law do the work, come to find out he specializes in Honda’s/Acura’s 🤦🏾‍♂️ & my car was his first ls swap 🤦🏾‍♂️ 🤦🏾‍♂️.. good thing he didn’t charge me that much.. Anyway I get my car back a couple weeks ago and it won’t shift out of first gear. Also my shift linkage only allows me to select PRND, it won’t let me pull it down any further to shift manually. Driving it Gets up to about 25 mph and that’s it.... it doesn’t even have enough power to drive up on my trailer unless I’m goin downhill. It has more power in reverse, (strange I kno)He says it needs tuning then it’ll start shifting. I called a few shops and they all said tuning has nothing to do with it, it should still shift. it sounds like the transmission isn’t getting power. Anybody else had/heard of this problem??

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
It's having harness issues. Check out the Sloppy Mechanics site and I'm sure you could find the info you need to track it down yourself. My guess right off would be no power to the trans.

Reactions: 1 user

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
4L60’s are electronically controlled. The wiring harness must be correct and the programming must be correct for it to shift properly. I’m not sure about 4L60’s but in 2004 GM changed the valve bodies in 4L80’s so that the lowest gear you can manually select is D. What year is your transmission?

Reactions: 1 user

84cutDawg

n00b
Aug 29, 2019
4L60’s are electronically controlled. The wiring harness must be correct and the programming must be correct for it to shift properly. I’m not sure about 4L60’s but in 2004 GM changed the valve bodies in 4L80’s so that the lowest gear you can manually select is D. What year is your transmission?
2007. I think ima order a transmission range sensor first, being that it’s the cheapest. Because I got under there and noticed a piece of the port is broken off. Not the harness plug but the plastic around the prongs. If that doesn’t solve it then harness next. Thanks for y’all response, will keep u updated

GPNX

Apprentice
Jun 6, 2016
who tuned your pcm to get it started? sounds like the pcm is in limp mode. could be a number of things wrong pcm for transmission and engine not compatible, bad wiring somewhere, blown fuse, bad solenoid in transmission. you could have a huge problem on your hands

i used the stock column shifter with the stock linkage for my grand prix and i can shift 4l60e in every gear. are you sure your transmission isn't a 4l80e

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
That's why I said "start over". First post said there was a 700r4/4r/WTFE/4 speed, so the shifter shouldn't be the issue. Something major was missed, and so many things could be problems. Either understand it yourself or find a new mechanic. It sounds harsh, but if he truly is your friend, he would be figuring it out instead of you asking vague questions.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor