Ls swap fuel system help

Status
Not open for further replies.

copperhead

Apprentice
Aug 25, 2016
nixa, MO
i know its been posted about before but I'm a very visual learner and would love help via pictures/short tutorial by you great men. I want to run a return style system for my 5.3 swap to this tank http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/p...t_id=506/category_id=127/mode=prod/prd506.htm with their fuel pump and sending unit. Question is, where to get a filter and where should it be mounted, fuel line kit, fittings? Etc etc. this is so confusing and I feel I'm just overcomplicating the hell out of it.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
I prefer the Spectra tank which allows use of a factory pump hanger. Part# GM307C includes the filler neck but it will not vent properly. Get part # GM3C which comes without. Cut out your factory filler neck and JB Weld it into the Spectra tank. It will fit perfectly and also fixes the alignment issue caused by installing a Regal tank into other Gbody cars.

Depending on what LS engine you have you may or may not need a return line. If you have a newer LS engine without a return line on the rail you can use a Corvette C5 filter / regulator. Mount it close to the tank and run one line up to the engine bay. You can do your own shopping but most of the best prices I find on E bay.

I mounted my C5 filter / regulator behind the Vin 9 exhaust heat shield. Just like GM would have done it.
IF you require the return line, then you could use a 4.3 EFI Monte Carlo filter and mount location by the passenger side lower control arm mount.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335822911&icep_item=111896290570

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335822911&icep_item=331950586103

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

copperhead

Apprentice
Aug 25, 2016
nixa, MO
Hey thanks man, why the spectra tank over tanks inc? Especially if you have to hack on it to make it work, tanks inc is a direct bolt in did you have a bad experience? I'm running an lm7 with a twin turbo setup and will be pushing around 6-650 to the wheels for reference

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
i am doing a holley stealth ram setup right now and running a GN tank and pick up and using the factory sock as the pre filter and i am in the process of purchasing a supply side filter, i found out that a EFI motor needs to have a 10 micron filter. i am running all fraogola/parker push lock hose and russell fittings to run from the tank to the back of the motor, it seemed to be the most budget friendly option. i am using AN-6 for everything and compression fittings to attach to the stock GN fuel pick up. this has been a 10 year process for me to get this far, i started out going tpi and kept getting hung up on the fuel system and wiring harness, i finally found a cheap painless harness and was able to do the fuel lines for under 150 bucks before adding the filter/check valve to the setup. it isn't cheap to do efi but its so worth it in the end!

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Hey thanks man, why the spectra tank over tanks inc? Especially if you have to hack on it to make it work, tanks inc is a direct bolt in did you have a bad experience? I'm running an lm7 with a twin turbo setup and will be pushing around 6-650 to the wheels for reference

Your project sounds like a lot of fun. An LM7 can achieve that power with (1) turbo. At that level you will likely need 2 fuel pumps. The Tanks unit looks like a quality piece but does it support (2) pumps? I prefer the Spectra tank because it is a replica of the OEM tank, uses the factory hangers / sending units, is cheaper and you can run twin pumps for power adders. You can buy the dual pump hangar from Racetronix shown below for Buick Grand Nationals. I am using a factory 231 V6 fuel line on the drivers side and V8 442 Fuel line on the passenger side. Classic tube is just one place that makes aftermarket stainless fuel line for our cars.

I see the Tanks unit is a direct fit for the Cutlass which is nice. The GM307C with filler is a Regal specific tank and while it will fit a Cutlass, the filler neck position is too high in the opening and is not correct. GM3C tank fits all G bodies perfectly with use of your original filler neck. No hacking on the new tank is required. Just slide in a cleaned up filler neck from a factory tank.

Post up some pics of your ride when you get a chance.

http://www.classictube.com/catalogsearch/advanced/result/?name=&description=&short_description=&sku=&price[from]=&price[to]=&year=1986&make=Buick&v_model=Regal&cab=&ton=&duty=&drive=&box=&engine=&ymm_cat=Carburetor Fuel Line

Racetronix Dual In-tank Pump System G7X 680LPH

DFPS-G7A340AN.jpg

copperhead

Apprentice
Aug 25, 2016
nixa, MO
Your project sounds like a lot of fun. An LM7 can achieve that power with (1) turbo. At that level you will likely need 2 fuel pumps. The Tanks unit looks like a quality piece but does it support (2) pumps? I prefer the Spectra tank because it is a replica of the OEM tank, uses the factory hangers / sending units, is cheaper and you can run twin pumps for power adders. You can buy the dual pump hangar from Racetronix shown below for Buick Grand Nationals. I am using a factory 231 V6 fuel line on the drivers side and V8 442 Fuel line on the passenger side. Classic tube is just one place that makes aftermarket stainless fuel line for our cars.

I see the Tanks unit is a direct fit for the Cutlass which is nice. The GM307C with filler is a Regal specific tank and while it will fit a Cutlass, the filler neck position is too high in the opening and is not correct. GM3C tank fits all G bodies perfectly with use of your original filler neck. No hacking on the new tank is required. Just slide in a cleaned up filler neck from a factory tank.

Post up some pics of your ride when you get a chance.

http://www.classictube.com/catalogsearch/advanced/result/?name=&description=&short_description=&sku=&price[from]=&price[to]=&year=1986&make=Buick&v_model=Regal&cab=&ton=&duty=&drive=&box=&engine=&ymm_cat=Carburetor Fuel Line

Racetronix Dual In-tank Pump System G7X 680LPH

DFPS-G7A340AN.jpg
I'm going with a twin setup simply for response and low end grunt. The pump will be plenty I believe and if not I can upgrade to a more powerful direct bolt in. Look up 86 442 rebirth for my project

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Moochie

n00b
Feb 6, 2017
I prefer the Spectra tank which allows use of a factory pump hanger. Part# GM307C includes the filler neck but it will not vent properly. Get part # GM3C which comes without. Cut out your factory filler neck and JB Weld it into the Spectra tank. It will fit perfectly and also fixes the alignment issue caused by installing a Regal tank into other Gbody cars.

Depending on what LS engine you have you may or may not need a return line. If you have a newer LS engine without a return line on the rail you can use a Corvette C5 filter / regulator. Mount it close to the tank and run one line up to the engine bay. You can do your own shopping but most of the best prices I find on E bay.

I mounted my C5 filter / regulator behind the Vin 9 exhaust heat shield. Just like GM would have done it.
IF you require the return line, then you could use a 4.3 EFI Monte Carlo filter and mount location by the passenger side lower control arm mount.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fuel-Tank-S...ash=item1a0d89e50a:g:a6oAAOSwvUlWs-cq&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fuel-Filter...ash=item4d49cbf8f7:g:DbMAAOSw8d9UyWnG&vxp=mtr
i want to know what all do you need to change in a 86 cutlass as far as doing the ls swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor