Ls swap looking for pointers

Status
Not open for further replies.

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
If not doing it isn’t an option, then 6.0 is the only choice in my opinion.

Reactions: 1 users

buhler86

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 17, 2018
Manitoba, Canada
I am just finishing up a 5.3L swap. My advice, dont buy all the conversion kits right off the bat. I used www.lt1swap.com for lots of wiring info. I didnt need to relocate AC in mine. Stock oil pan worked. Bought specific LS swap engine mounts and manifolds.

A few other things to keep in mind, I had to shorten the driveshaft, new fuel lines (I did efi) PCM reprogram, etc. I few things I didnt immediately think of when I decided to do a swap.

I think it will be worth it in the long run, although maybe I am just telling myself that now because I am almost ready to hit the road!

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
4.8/5.3 are way cheaper and easier to find. They are triple the power of the stock engines that came in these cars so it's hard to go wrong.

• Agree

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Find one and stick with it. There will always a better deal, or exactly what you want. It never ends. Getting one in, running, and Driveable is a HUGE hurdle. Once that is done if you want to swap from a gen III 24X To a gen IV 58X it's really just a few hours swapping the engines out and a couple of connectors difference.

Last edited:
  • Agree

Eddie Cutlass

Apprentice
May 3, 2020
San Diego
What’s up Jimenez84SS! Let us know how you’re planning to build/drive your car. You can’t go wrong with either of the LS gen 3-4 motors. The Gen 5 requires some reprogramming cost, the newer transmissions will fit, but you have to do some cutting of your tunnel, aftermarket parts are more expensive too for these gen-5’s.
Which ever way you decide to go, I recommend doing research...A LOT of research on this. Make a binder with everything itemized and type out the pricing on everything. Stay organized so you don’t lose your mind.
As far as the motor/trans, find and buy a donor car or truck. You can find chevy Silverados in great running, currently registered Condition. This will make your swap a lot easier since you’ll have the things you’ll need for your swap to go smooth.
Also, if you live in California and want to pass smog, the BAR referee looks for everything stock that the donor motor came with for that specific year. Leave everything stock until you pass the referee smog inspection and after that, you can change out parts for CA CARB legal aftermarket parts (since you’ll still have to smog, but not at referee).
Forgot to ask: have you updated/upgraded your stock suspension and brakes yet? I highly recommend working and investing on this before swapping out the motor/trans. Plus, it’ll give the newer LS motors a chance to go down in price. 👍🏽🤓👍🏽

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor