Ls swap power steering

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dylan88

Greasemonkey
May 31, 2018
Wondering what I would need to add power steering to my car? 5.3 Swap with the low mount alternator. Any help would be appreciated. Also when im turning it sometimes has a loud clunk/bang sound. When im going straight and turn side to side can also hear it. Any ideas?

Thank you again

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
I have factory truck accessories and the pump pulley clears my steering box. Minor adjustment of the factory power steering lines and they hooked right up to the newer pump. No experience with relocated alternator.

The clunk could be some loose steering components, likely idler or pitman arms. Have someone jack around with the steering wheel while you look at it. Or my personal favorite method of front end diagnosis, take it to the local front end shop and have them shake it down and give you the list of what it needs, then fix it yourself.

• Winner
Reactions: 2 users

GPNX

Apprentice
Jun 6, 2016
To check the front end jack front end up. Leave key on so wheels will turn. Wiggle tire side to side this will show if tie rod or idler arm are loose. Wiggle up and down for ball joints. The sound could also be tie rod rubbing on rim if your wheel backspace is to much.

Reactions: 1 user

Dylan88

Greasemonkey
May 31, 2018
More of like a loud snap when turning right usually at slower speeds. But ill jack it up today and see. Just started recently

Reactions: 1 user

Dylan88

Greasemonkey
May 31, 2018
Quite Abit of play from side to side and noise. Up and down seems pretty tight

Dylan88

Greasemonkey
May 31, 2018
Is there a kit i can get to replace the front tie rods.? What do you recommend

GPNX

Apprentice
Jun 6, 2016
I wouldnt buy that whole kit. If you have someone rock wheel side to side dont turn wheel just rock it. You can see what part is bad then hold the part while other person rocks it to see if your right. If your holding bad tie rod it should feel tighter. I always was told if it isnt broke dont fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor