LS Swap vs Chevy 350

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenx5811

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 28, 2019
Hey everyone, new to the thread and new to the idea of doing an LS. I'm currently re-doing the interior of my 86 Cutlass Supreme, so I have some time, but I can't decide what will be more cost effective as I dive into the motor. I have a 350 that my buddy is trying to get me to use, however, going the LS route seems to be better long term as you can get more hp for your money. The idea is that the Cutlass will be my daily driver in the summer and maybe roast the tires occasionally. Any and all input is greatly appreciated.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Any and all input is greatly appreciated.

You asked for it: don't put a Chevy in an Olds unless you're in Canadia! :banana:

Seriously, though, people portray LS swaps as easier (AND CHEAPER) than they actually are. If it's a 307 car, your easiest swap would be Olds 350 or 403. If it's a 307 car, and you still insist on a Ch*vy engine, send me your frame pads for the motor mounts! If it's 305 or 3.8, you can keep them.

Reactions: 4 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
SBC is gonna be WAY easier and cheaper. I think for your goals the 350 is a better option. You can always get an aftermarket TBI setup to modernize it.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
It depends on your goals and your pocketbook. If you’re happy with the way the car drives now and just want a little more power then keep it Olds and put in a nice old school Rocket 350 or 403. If you want a modern engine with fuel injection, a smooth idle, tire roasting power, decent fuel mileage and a four-speed transmission then go LS. As noted, an LS swap done right will be more money.

Reactions: 2 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Turbo LS or toss in the SBC. No real benefit to going to an LS without boost due to the cost.

Reactions: 1 user

Jenx5811

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 28, 2019
SBC is gonna be WAY easier and cheaper. I think for your goals the 350 is a better option. You can always get an aftermarket TBI setup to modernize it.

Will a SBC drop in and bolt up or are there modifications that need to be made. Also, which trans would you recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor