LS Swap with TKO 500/600

Status
Not open for further replies.

2ABodies1FBody

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 5, 2014
Yeah, I'm using the Sickspeed pedal, and still had to modify it to get it to work correctly. Ive had a dozen conversations with Bernie concerning it.. he knows all about the problems. Poor manufacturing tolerances on the master cylinders.. Many others have had the same issues. They don't all just bolt in and work unfortunately.

Can you expand on what problems you're having with the SickSpeed setup? I've been considering it and want to know what I may be getting myself into.

Reactions: 1 user

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Can you expand on what problems you're having with the SickSpeed setup? I've been considering it and want to know what I may be getting myself into.
I didn't have any where near enough throw to disengage the clutch. Need about 1" of throw, I had 1/2". Drilled hole further down the pedal with a template Bernie sent me. That got me REALLY close, but still not enough. I needed to go further but I couldn't because that would've put the pushrod at an awkward angle and would've bound up inside the clutch master during travel. Only other choice was to move it out on the pedal to allow more travel before the pedal bottomed out on the floor. This worked, but now my clutch pedal is about 1.75" higher than the brake pedal. Works, but not ideal. What really needs to happen is the mounting bracket he supplies needs to bent a different angle to allow the pushrod to be mounted further down the pedal in order to give enough throw. JMO

Reactions: 2 users

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
If we're worried about mpg, can anyone weigh in on just adding fuel injection to the current engine? I feel like that would be cheaper than an LS swap. It would take a lot of driving for the savings to start surpassing the initial cost of finishing the LS swap. And the car would be out of action longer.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
A holley sniper system wouldn't take very long to bolt onto a sbc.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

2ABodies1FBody

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 5, 2014
I didn't have any where near enough throw to disengage the clutch. Need about 1" of throw, I had 1/2". Drilled hole further down the pedal with a template Bernie sent me. That got me REALLY close, but still not enough. I needed to go further but I couldn't because that would've put the pushrod at an awkward angle and would've bound up inside the clutch master during travel. Only other choice was to move it out on the pedal to allow more travel before the pedal bottomed out on the floor. This worked, but now my clutch pedal is about 1.75" higher than the brake pedal. Works, but not ideal. What really needs to happen is the mounting bracket he supplies needs to bent a different angle to allow the pushrod to be mounted further down the pedal in order to give enough throw. JMO

Thanks, Streetbu

pontiac guy

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2016
Royse City, TX
I am new to the thread, but I see a lot of money being thrown at a very small problem. High 13s are quite possible without a TKO and an LS. We were DD high 13 cars 30 years ago and neither of those things existed. (We needed 13 second cars to out run the dinosaurs who were angry at us for using them as oil 😂)
Before you start spending money. Consider finding out where you car is now. I don't see that you even have a baseline. You just said you've realized the limitations. Get a baseline and find out where the problem is.
Example: For sure the 2.73 isnt the way to go, but you don't need a 4.10 to run 13.9s. A decent motor on 3.42s that hooks up will do it. That's street able with a TH350.

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
If we're worried about mpg, can anyone weigh in on just adding fuel injection to the current engine? I feel like that would be cheaper than an LS swap. It would take a lot of driving for the savings to start surpassing the initial cost of finishing the LS swap. And the car would be out of action longer.
He did say daily driver so it depends on how much he drives it I guess.

If it was me, with taking in some of the info of the above posts..

Keep the 350 especially if you have Headers and Exhaust on it
Put on a Holley Sniper EFI Kit or similar
Put a decent T5 behind the 350, can go with the TKO 500/600 also with Hyd Clutch setup
3.42 or 3.73 Rear Gear

Not sure how much power is in the 350 but on a street tire with a good clutch that would be a solid setup and save some money, the EFI will get decent gas mileage, I have a few friends with similar setups and they enjoy it.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
He did say daily driver so it depends on how much he drives it I guess.

If it was me, with taking in some of the info of the above posts..

Keep the 350 especially if you have Headers and Exhaust on it
Put on a Holley Sniper EFI Kit or similar
Put a decent T5 behind the 350, can go with the TKO 500/600 also with Hyd Clutch setup
3.42 or 3.73 Rear Gear

Not sure how much power is in the 350 but on a street tire with a good clutch that would be a solid setup and save some money, the EFI will get decent gas mileage, I have a few friends with similar setups and they enjoy it.
Throw a set of heads and intake on the 350 at the same time, it'll still be cheaper than an LS swap as described above. If you have a good runner in the car this is a pretty good plan.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Dom Pace

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 14, 2018
Alabama
I put a TKO600 in my Malibu and it was not a big hassle. I did have to modify the Z bar drastically ( a hyd throw out bearing would eliminate that) because I used a standard/regular GM type bellowing. The G body bell housing was specific to our cars and also required a special fork. I used a std clutch fork and trimmed a little off it and put a little dent in the floorboard, later on I changed the body bushings to poly ones and I think no mods would have been needed to the floor or fork, if I done the bushings first.
What is the height on ur shifter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor