LS Tesla swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
I'm assuming you do not follow energy developments too closely, which is fine because most people do not either.
Ok, forget what I said about unbiased. :mrgreen:

How could anyone not follow energy developments? You'd have to be a resident at Happy Acres.

You hit on a point I forgot to make, though. You mention little programs, improve home appliances here, convert generators there, blah blah. For decades the public has been told to reduce electric consumption to save the planet. Now the public is told -- nay, given government decrees -- to layer on huge new consumption burdens to -- you guessed it -- save the planet.

So call me biased toward just about any other way to solve the problem. Your industry already convinced me!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
Ok, forget what I said about unbiased. :mrgreen:

How could anyone not follow energy developments? You'd have to be a resident at Happy Acres.

You hit on a point I forgot to make, though. You mention little programs, improve home appliances here, convert generators there, blah blah. For decades the public has been told to reduce electric consumption to save the planet. Now the public is told -- nay, given government decrees -- to layer on huge new consumption burdens to -- you guessed it -- save the planet.

So call me biased toward just about any other way to solve the problem. Your industry already convinced me!
I hope I didn't come across as ignorant or a d*ckhead in my reply to you - hard to convey inflections and tone in a text-based format. Sorry if I came across as such

I was more or less saying that most people don't closely follow developments in the energy sector because half the people in this country don't even watch the news as it is, and the ones who do usually only watch for politics or police brutality or the weather or whatever

The reason for ushering people to go all (or, mostly) electric nowadays is for efficiency purposes - it's an (arguably) better use of resources to use fossil fuels for generation on a large scale and then distribute the power to individual consumers, rather than each individual consumer having their own small-scale fossil fuel appliances or generators.

Hope that helps clear things up

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
electric nowadays is for efficiency purposes - it's an (arguably) better use of resources to use fossil fuels for generation on a large scale and then distribute the power to individual consumers, rather than each individual consumer having their own small-scale fossil fuel appliances or generators.
Glad you mention efficiency, I just came back to raise that very point. Someone earlier in this thread mentioned the inefficiency of the internal combustion engine, which is certainly true. But measured in wattage, efficiency on the power grid is even worse -- on the order of 25% (meaning some 75% is lost, like to heat, as in how transmission lines cause forest fires). This is why outfits like yours tell consumers, as a rule of thumb, to take the power consumption listed on the label of an appliance and multiply it by 2 to get the actual consumption. And that's just between the meter and the appliance. Is this not correct? So in reality it's not a better use of resources, at all.

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
Glad you mention efficiency, I just came back to raise that very point. Someone earlier in this thread mentioned the inefficiency of the internal combustion engine, which is certainly true. But measured in wattage, efficiency on the power grid is even worse -- on the order of 25% (meaning some 75% is lost, like to heat, which is how transmission lines cause forest fires). This is why outfits like yours tell consumers, as a rule of thumb, to take the power consumption listed on the label of an appliance and multiply it by 2 to get the actual consumption. And that's just between the meter and the appliance. Is this not correct? So in reality it's not a better use of resources, at all.
75% power losses on transmission lines? And the heat radiated from transmission lines is what causes fires? And multiplying the usage on an appliance by 2?

My friend that is all absolute nonsense - I suggest you do a little bit of research before saying things like that. No, nothing you said is correct.

Losses from transmission and distribution are typically on the order of <10% total, from generation to consumer. I'd say on heavy load days it may be closer to 15%. If you would like me to write out a sample calculation I'd be happy to do so.

Heat doesn't cause fires - faults and arcing do, neither of which have anything to do with the temperature of the lines themselves.

There is voltage drop and power loss from your meter to the various appliances in your house - that is just physics. To say that something like a 1500W microwave is more accurately using 3000W is insane. I would say phantom losses are on the order of watts, maybe a couple hundred.

Reactions: 1 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Rocco Botte Omg GIF by Mega 64

Reactions: 1 user

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
The technology is impressive and seeing where it goes will be interesting with all the R&D being dumped into that format whether it’s the free market deciding or through the help of regulation and subsidies 😀. I have no problem with a future daily driver being EV, but for myself and probably many of us ICE will never go away, EV can’t replicate the feel/sound. Could care less how much faster they might be or with better weight ratio the handling aspects, closest thing I can compare it to is if some supercar pulls up next to me that can “stomp” me, cool, good job, high five, you win, it should win(yawn), but it isn’t nearly as cool the type of car I’m driving, IMO. The sound/feel/look is a bigger factor to me than the performance alone.

It's just too insulated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor