LS turbo clocking and intercooler routings options

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rodknok

Greasemonkey
Jun 14, 2022
I'm in the middle of a lq4 turbo swap in a 84 nash. Looking for information about intercooler routing and IC sizes. This is my current turbo clocking
20220901_102909.jpg

This is my other clocking option
20220828_202041.jpg

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Are you putting the intercooler in/out connection above the frame rail or below?

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I'm thinking above the frame rails but I'm open to all the options right now.
The second picture is how I've clocked the turbo. I've always cutout holes in the core support , basically, made the headlight access hole larger towards the radiator. Your compressor outlet looks to be 2.5", so you'll need an adapter to convert to 3" (assuming a 3" in and out on the intercooler), then a bunch of piping.

There are turbo piping kits that you can purchase, but I've graduated to buying non beaded pipes from RPS (Race Parts Solutions)) and beading them myself with a homemade bead forming tool. My beads are better than the pre-fabbed ones.

Reactions: 2 users

Rodknok

Greasemonkey
Jun 14, 2022
The second picture is how I've clocked the turbo. I've always cutout holes in the core support , basically, made the headlight access hole larger towards the radiator. Your compressor outlet looks to be 2.5", so you'll need an adapter to convert to 3" (assuming a 3" in and out on the intercooler), then a bunch of piping.

There are turbo piping kits that you can purchase, but I've graduated to buying non beaded pipes from RPS (Race Parts Solutions)) and beading them myself with a homemade bead forming tool. My beads are better than the pre-fabbed ones.
The turbo is a 2.5 outlet and I'm looking to run a 3inch in/out intercooler. Im not sure if I should jump it up to 3 inch right out the turbo or right before the IC.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
You should jump to 3" as soon as pissible.

How much boost are you intending to run? If below one atmosphere, then silicone reducer elbows are fine, but at 18+ I've had bad luck with them - they turn into balloons that are prone to popping - that was the reason for the question.

Reactions: 1 user

Rodknok

Greasemonkey
Jun 14, 2022
You should jump to 3" as soon as pissible.

How much boost are you intending to run? If below one atmosphere, then silicone reducer elbows are fine, but at 18+ I've had bad luck with them - they turn into balloons that are prone to popping - that was the reason for the question.
I'm planning on running a 2 bar map so it will limit me to 14psi.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor