LS turbo questions-heat/ac? general driving?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
I ended up buying a 85 GN hot air non running project car that I am more than likely swapping a 5.3LS that i already have into. I have already been getting crap from the TR guys about doing this so it got me to thinking. Why not turbo the LS? I have looked at a bunch of swaps online and noticed something that won't fit my build, pretty much every one I have looked at has removed all of AC and heat from them, I'm assuming it is easier with clearance. So my biggest question is, can you keep your hvac and AC compressor? second question, can I build a turbo engine that that is daily drivable car with good street manors and could make a 10 hour road trip on the interstate? Those 2 are must have items on my build. I could be wrong but I would think a cammed 5.3 is already going to out perform a hot air 3.8 and maybe even a stock intercooled 3.8, I have never driven either so I don't know. I was thinking it would be nice to say that it is still a turbo regal even though it's a LS.

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
For HVAC goodies you can run a Vintage Air unit that mounts under the dash. There are pulley kits that will allow you to mount the compressor. Also, yes turbo cars can be driven daily, look at all the factory turbo cars out roaming around today.
For now, I'm going 2-60 air as I gutted all my ductwork, controls, etc like a dumbass when I was young. One day it might get heat/ac again, but I like the clean look....
20190224_002417.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Yes, you can do it all. If you plan for it - financially and time-wise. If you want a quick/cheap solution - nope, just fix the 3.8L.

GroceryGetter83

LS Mafia
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2018
Tampa, Florida
Check out my build I am doing; those things are happening. It can be done!

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
For HVAC goodies you can run a Vintage Air unit that mounts under the dash. There are pulley kits that will allow you to mount the compressor. Also, yes turbo cars can be driven daily, look at all the factory turbo cars out roaming around today.
For now, I'm going 2-60 air as I gutted all my ductwork, controls, etc like a dumbass when I was young. One day it might get heat/ac again, but I like the clean look....

I did the same thing and shaved my firewall back in my early 20s, turned around and now think that was the single dumbest thing I ever did to my car. This is a continuation of the same car project, just a different shell. I'm hoping to keep the stock heater box, I am after a factory look

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
thanks, that is what I was looking for. His does not have a high mount AC compressor but it looks like it could be done. Now the wheels and spinning in my head lol

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor