LS with 4l60e swap. what crossmember to use

Status
Not open for further replies.

87luxsprt

Greasemonkey
Jul 8, 2012
POMONA
I have the setback plates on my 87 monte xarlo LS.. the LS swap with the 4l60e is a 2013... I need a crossmember. now i wanted to buy the Gforce but there add says its for the early 4l60 so will it fit? Theyve told me about the iceman but not gonna lie looks kinda weak .
also anyone on here use the old Abody double hump crossmeber friemd of mine used one from like a chevelle.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Where is the back of the block using your setback plates? That will determine where the mounting point for the transmission mount needs to be located. I 4L60 is about the same as a 700-R4, so might consider one like Jeg's offers for that transmission. It has the double hump so you can add dual exhaust to your LS. It's made from 1-1/2 x 2-1/2 box tube, with the humps fabricated from plates to make a fully boxed piece. http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performance+Products/555/640601/10002/-1

How do you find an LS powertrain that is only a year and half old?!?

87luxsprt

Greasemonkey
Jul 8, 2012
POMONA
Where is the back of the block using your setback plates? That will determine where the mounting point for the transmission mount needs to be located. I 4L60 is about the same as a 700-R4, so might consider one like Jeg's offers for that transmission. It has the double hump so you can add dual exhaust to your LS. It's made from 1-1/2 x 2-1/2 box tube, with the humps fabricated from plates to make a fully boxed piece. http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performance+Products/555/640601/10002/-1

How do you find an LS powertrain that is only a year and half old?!?

The back of the block??? Umm closed to the firewall. The set back plates. Put the eng as close to the OE location as the 305 ...

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
The set back plates put the engine as close to the OE location as the 305 ...

Crossmember selection depends upon where the engine and transmission sit together in the chassis. If the setback plates locate the back of the block where the trans mates as close to that of the old 305, that simplifies your life. From the attached TCI transmission dimensions page, the mounting pad on the trans is 21-3/4" from the back of the block; on a 700R4 it's 22-1/2" ; on a TH350, it's 20-3/8". I measured a 350 I had in the garage. The upper rear motor mount shell bolt hole on the passenger side is 14" to the back of the block. Measure the length same location on your adapter plate to the back of the block. If it's 14", then this plus 21-3/4" will define where the trans mount pad will be in your car. Using the transmission dimensions I listed above, choose the crossmember that places the transmission pad bolt hole within a half-inch (forward/aft), since you can file out the hole a bit and still have strength to hold it in place. For example, if it's 14+19-3/4" to 14+ 20-3/4", I'd choose a crossmember designed for use with a TH350.

Attachments

• 4L60E with LS.JPG
    4L60E with LS.JPG
    105.1 KB · Views: 1,206
  • DSCN5734.JPG
    DSCN5734.JPG
    347.7 KB · Views: 1,029

87luxsprt

Greasemonkey
Jul 8, 2012
POMONA
Crossmember selection depends upon where the engine and transmission sit together in the chassis. If the setback plates locate the back of the block where the trans mates as close to that of the old 305, that simplifies your life. From the attached TCI transmission dimensions page, the mounting pad on the trans is 21-3/4" from the back of the block; on a 700R4 it's 22-1/2" ; on a TH350, it's 20-3/8". I measured a 350 I had in the garage. The upper rear motor mount shell bolt hole on the passenger side is 14" to the back of the block. Measure the length same location on your adapter plate to the back of the block. If it's 14", then this plus 21-3/4" will define where the trans mount pad will be in your car. Using the transmission dimensions I listed above, choose the crossmember that places the transmission pad bolt hole within a half-inch (forward/aft), since you can file out the hole a bit and still have strength to hold it in place. For example, if it's 14+19-3/4" to 14+ 20-3/4", I'd choose a crossmember designed for use with a TH350.

I measure kinda quick from the engine mounting bolt hole to the trans bolt. (The one that connects to The Xmember) ruffly like 39-40 .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    387.6 KB · Views: 549

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I hope I gave you enough ideas to help you figure this out. There are better experts on the Forum who have LS swap experience. I hope my reply brings some other viewpoints to bear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor