ls1 balancer stuck on

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacobdavis1979

G-Body Guru
Feb 18, 2011
Can someone give me advice please? I got the balancer bolt out of the 5.3 no problems but now this stupid balancer wont come off ive broken 2 jaw pullers and even heat the thing up! Please help

Kansas Bu Wagon

G-Body Guru
Jul 9, 2012
Wichita, Ks
I believe the tool I was given by autozone was for a Chrysler. The standard tool for a sbc won't work. Had mine off in about 2min. Oreillys was useless when I told them the one they gave me didn't work.

jacobdavis1979

G-Body Guru
Feb 18, 2011
The first one i broke was the napa rental tool. Wont be getting my deposit back on that one. The second one was my personal 3 ton jaw puller it put so much pressure on it that it broke the head off inside the crank and its stuck i guess i gotta drill it idk. And ran out of propane in my torch so guess im at a stopping point for this weekend

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
Those things are tiiiiiigggghhhhht. I think they tongue them at the factory at like 300ft lbs. I had to take one off an LS6 I was stripping down. IIRC I hit it with GM rust penetrant, and put a little heat in it. The motor still had the flywheel on, so I locked it down with a pry bar and used a 24" breaker bar and it finally started to come loose. Then It came right off with the puller. Good luck.

seawolf18

Master Mechanic
Jan 12, 2013
SE South Dakota
When I removed mine, I had to soak it down with CRC and heat the snot out of hit with a torch. Then, I finally got it off with a 3-jaw puller.

jacobdavis1979

G-Body Guru
Feb 18, 2011
Thanks for the replies guys. Its at a stand still for now untill i get paid this week. I dont have any penetrating oil so i put castrol in a spray bottle and let it soak and i cant buy another tool untill thursday so it should soak awhile. Should i pick up some wd40 or pb blaster after work or do you guys recommend somthing else i can spray it with? And the head of the jaw puller broke off inside the crank it got wedged as i was cranking it down and nothing is getting it out except a drill what kind off drill bit do you guys think i should use to not destroy the crank?

jacobdavis1979

G-Body Guru
Feb 18, 2011
Got the b..ch off! The key was lots of wd40, a torch, and a 5 ton puller! Thanks for the help guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor