LS1 swap. What works?

Status
Not open for further replies.

50trimmed

n00b
Jun 20, 2016
Ok so i have a complete 02 Trans Am that was a stolen recovery. Windows busted out, holes in every body panel. My question is what all can i use on my 84 Monte Carlo SS? The only thing i will be changing is the transmission from the Trans Am. I dont want the 6 speed and will be using a TH400. Any help on what can be changed over would be great.

MoarPower

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 25, 2016
Cincinnati, Ohio
You should be able to use the engine, wiring harness, and ECU from the trans am for an LS swap. The headers will probably work as well as i hear the fbody headers clear pretty well in a gbody.

GBodyscuffle

Master Mechanic
May 24, 2014
Keysville, VA
In my opinion, I would grab everything you got room to keep. You never know what may come up. I have thrown away a few things that I wish I had of kept now.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
My wagon build thread details this swap pretty well. We started a with a complete car as well. There are going to be lots of issues with the 14+ year old wiring and sensors, so pay close attention.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
I agree with vader87!! you can sell the trans for a good price if in good working order.... and it will help fund the rest of the parts to do the swap. That t56 would be the best upgrade IMO depending an what your plans for your Monte SS? Do you have emissions? You can also redo the stock harness to work for you on the cheap!

https://gbodyforum.com/threads/grand-prix-ls1-build.36477/

50trimmed

n00b
Jun 20, 2016
Thank you for all the replies. The only reason I am going auto is so my wife can drive the car as well. She can drive standard but doesn't feel comfortable in traffic. I am almost ready to pull the tired 305 out and get the swap ready to drop in. I kept the engine harness, fuse block, ecu and complete engine. I hope everything works out lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor