Ls1 swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

85grandprix

Master Mechanic
Jun 23, 2017
Hi guys I just purchased a 85 grand prix practically show room clean..only exception is a teen blew the sluggish v6 so now I'm thinking of doing an ls1 swap..all info would be greatly appreciated on how to make this switch..im deployed now so this forum is my only way of figuring things out..i have about a 5k budget is that workable

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Welcome to the site from Houston. Let's see some pics of your ride. Your budget seems reasonable. Do you have an engine already? What transmission are you going to use? Fuel injection or carb?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users

85grandprix

Master Mechanic
Jun 23, 2017
Welcome to the site from Houston. Let's see some pics of your ride. Your budget seems reasonable. Do you have an engine already? What transmission are you going to use? Fuel injection or carb?
Thanks man..im actually new to the whole modern swap into older cars I've always kept tbe original just did a few usual typical upgrades..ive seen plenty 5.7s online with everything for about 2200- 4000 ..i dont even know where to began..itll definitely be fuel injected

Attachments

• 1498085716066_1849467490_cff41f5c.jpg
    1498085716066_1849467490_cff41f5c.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 207
  • IMG_20170622_023409_151.jpg
    IMG_20170622_023409_151.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 198

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
I'm not an LS expert by any means, but i would carefully look at the 5.7's. Having an aluminum block is nice for weight, but people screw them up, then try to sell them off. From what i recall, they usually can't be bored due to having cast sleeves....i think a good hone is it.

If you search around, a complete 5.3 or 6.0 takeout can be had for around $1k-ish. That would leave room for a trans if need be, swap parts to bolt it in, gaskets, and other misc. stuff that always comes up.

85grandprix

Master Mechanic
Jun 23, 2017
I'm not an LS expert by any means, but i would carefully look at the 5.7's. Having an aluminum block is nice for weight, but people screw them up, then try to sell them off. From what i recall, they usually can't be bored due to having cast sleeves....i think a good hone is it.

If you search around, a complete 5.3 or 6.0 takeout can be had for around $1k-ish. That would leave room for a trans if need be, swap parts to bolt it in, gaskets, and other misc. stuff that always comes up.
I'll definitely look around..the 6.0s that I did see where rather high..i guess I'll just keep searching..if it comes with a trans does that make the process a little easier..

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
I'll definitely look around..the 6.0s that I did see where rather high..i guess I'll just keep searching..if it comes with a trans does that make the process a little easier..
With trans...yeah definitely since you won't have to do what I'm doing and locate a trans separately. The 5.3 I'm working on is already above what a complete takeout would cost....but with a yard motor you never know the condition until taken apart. I was able to score a freshly built short block, then put my touch on it.

85grandprix

Master Mechanic
Jun 23, 2017
Thanks foe
With trans...yeah definitely since you won't have to do what I'm doing and locate a trans separately. The 5.3 I'm working on is already above what a complete takeout would cost....but with a yard motor you never know the condition until taken apart. I was able to score a freshly built short block, then put my touch on it.[/QUOTE
Thanks for the help brother..im deployed right now but i definitely plan to get started once I'm back state side

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Hi guys I just purchased a 85 grand prix practically show room clean..only exception is a teen blew the sluggish v6 so now I'm thinking of doing an ls1 swap..

Why are you looking specifically for an LS1 engine? As noted, most of those are trashed, high mileage by now. Maybe a typo? Many people equate LS1 to all things LSx

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

85grandprix

Master Mechanic
Jun 23, 2017
Why are you looking specifically for an LS1 engine? As noted, most of those are trashed, high mileage by now. Maybe a typo? Many people equate LS1 to all things LSx
I've seen many swaps and so many have been done that I figured it would be a budget friendly task..i could've done the usual 350 drop in but I wanted the old car but modern feel..do you suggest anything better I'm still researching so I'm open to suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor