LS1 vs. LT1

Status
Not open for further replies.

81KiddCutty

Apprentice
Apr 29, 2013
I know this topic has been beaten so much but all I want to ask is which one of these engines will give me more hp, tq with basic bolt ons like a cam, headers, k&n air filter, complete exhaust for a swap I have both donor cars available to me a 95 z28 and a 02 ss. cheapest one to build thanks

L.A.X-RATED

Royal Smart Person
Aug 25, 2010
Alex41 said:
To keep it short...NOTHING responds to upgrades like an LS1. Go with newer tech always.
tell iT like it is good sir :wink: 3RD GEN EFI LS ENGINES,FTW!!!

online170

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2010
The bad rap behind the LT1 (late 90s) engine is kind of tragic really. It is essentially the BEST “Gen1” SBC ever produced by GM. But the small production years, and lack of aftermarket parts, plus the electronic governing devices make it an awful choice for performance. Atleast if you don’t have an unlimited budget.
The LT1 brought us things like Vortec heads, and reverse flow cooling where its not uncommon to run 11.5:1 compression on the street. But the OBDI is not friendly to use. The spark plugs are awful to change. The aftermarket support is not great.

If someone was selling a 11:1 compression LT1 with Holley HSR and/or some kind of boost device, for less than $2000, turnkey, with receipts of work, id be all over that. Its just performance for the dollar.

Not gonna say anything about the LS1, I'm sure enough other people will. It comes down to goals vs budget in the end. Just like every single one of these threads.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
I heard the other way around that OBD1 is easier and far cheaper to work with. LS tuning software starts at $650. Heck alot of people now consider the LS1s to be outdated and not worth using with the LS2s and LS3s now. LT is cheaper to install but the LS has a greater aftermarket support. Everyone wants top dollar for anything LS, usually charnging 2-4x times as much for LS parts over SBC part prices. All engines are only "cheap" to upgrade to a certain point, then it gets very expensive. Power is always diminishing returns no matter what you go with.

ITh4n4tosI

Greasemonkey
Nov 23, 2013
If your looking for an actual ls1, then you will pay quite a bit for it. And in all honesty I would prefer the iron blocks over the aluminum ones. They are cheaper, and suppose to be stronger but the biggest thing an aluminum engine when it gets cylinder damage is done. It can't be bored and would have to be re-sleeved. If your on a budget then go with a 5.3 or 4.8. There are articles out there where a 5.3 was able to gain like 90hp off of a ls7/ls9 cams(with supporting upgrades to the rockers and springs.) With a crane cam they have dyno proven 120hp gains but thats just on an engine dyno and I can't remember what accessories they were running but they made like 450hp with it.

ed209

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 1, 2012
wisconsin
lt1 is a good motor and setup for a easy swap no bs and has good power band .but the ls motor do have more aftermarket support.so lt1 is my go to ive never had a problem with them but spark plug wires suck to but on. one more thing use a programmer to get the most out of the lt1 .

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
My answer to your question is the 5.7 LS1 is the better of the two performance wise. Cost wise, your looking at the LT1. I disagree with putting a 4.8 or 5.3 in your car just to have a LS motor. You'll be fighting to make the power of the 5.7 and lager LS motors. I'd put the LT1 over the lesser LS engines. Thats why the Fbodies went with only the 5.7 LS1 to replace the LT1. Since you have access to a 5.7 from a SS Camaro, the LS1 is the better choice. JMO.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
ITh4n4tosI said:
If your looking for an actual ls1, then you will pay quite a bit for it. And in all honesty I would prefer the iron blocks over the aluminum ones. They are cheaper, and suppose to be stronger but the biggest thing an aluminum engine when it gets cylinder damage is done. It can't be bored and would have to be re-sleeved. If your on a budget then go with a 5.3 or 4.8. There are articles out there where a 5.3 was able to gain like 90hp off of a ls7/ls9 cams(with supporting upgrades to the rockers and springs.) With a crane cam they have dyno proven 120hp gains but thats just on an engine dyno and I can't remember what accessories they were running but they made like 450hp with it.

The sleeves are cast in the block, can't just press them out like with normal sleeved engines. The bad sleeve would have to be bore out and the block machined to accept a press in sleeve. Iron block is a safer bet when buying a used motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor