LS2 swap LQ4/LQ9

Status
Not open for further replies.

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009
I am helping my dad with an LS swap into his 87 cutlass. Just trying to figure out all the parts we will need. I have read the LSX posts. I know I'll need oil pan, 1" setback engine mount & bracket, flexplate shim & bolts, headers, and a few other things depending on fuel injection or carb. I am wondering about a few things...what belt assembly fits the best? Can we run mechanical fan? Lastly the a/c & heater box has already been altered to clear bbo, will it need more alteration?

LS1GN

G-Body Guru
Aug 7, 2011
Central Florida
I am running the stock truck oil pan in mine - works great.

A mechanical fan should work.

I left my HVAC intact and have no issues.

Not sure exactly what you mean by belt assembly - FEAD? Get junkyard accessories and brackets if motor does not come with

seawolf18

Master Mechanic
Jan 12, 2013
SE South Dakota
The truck accessories work, and they also used a clutch fan.

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009
sweet thanks, so we wont have to spend money on corvette belt assy that $810. We can just use any old truck one. What needs to be done to bolt engine to trans? Just flexplate adapter & bolts? Or do we need a special flexplate too?

In the LSX swap page they said you needed to change out truck pan for either musclecar one or cts-v pan

seawolf18

Master Mechanic
Jan 12, 2013
SE South Dakota
The oil pan change is for ground clearance. The stock truck pan will fit, but hangs down pretty low. If you are using an old school trans will need the adapter\spacer and longer flex plate bolts. You will have to egg out the converter holes on the flex plate as well.

Alex41

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 12, 2013
Hendersonville TN
Mine is done with all F body accessories to include the a/c. The F body pan is on there too but you will need to notch the frame for the pan as well as the a/c compressor.

LS1GN

G-Body Guru
Aug 7, 2011
Central Florida
seawolf18 said:
.................... they also used a clutch fan.

Yes BUT the engine angle could be different, and the distance from the fan to radiator makes a difference too.

seawolf18

Master Mechanic
Jan 12, 2013
SE South Dakota
That is true. The swaps i've seen, people use electric fans. Just mock it up and see if it will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor