LS3 drysump engine in El Camino 87 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Autobahn-Outlaw

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 3, 2019
Germany
hi,
i have an 1987 El Camino and want to change the SBC engine to a Ls3.
For another project i have a 2010 Ls3 from a Corvette Grand Coupe.
This engine has the steelcrank and the factory drysump.
Now my question, does the factory drysump pan fit the Elco ?
I have setback motormounts, but i cant measure, because the old SBC is in the car.
Who does know this or has it installed ?

Reactions: 1 user

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
I cant answer your question, but offer info instead. Holley make a pan that fits our cars. Look up holley 302-2 oil pan. They have blue prints with dimensions you could use to compare your pan with theirs. I have this pan on a 6.0l in my project car and it fits the crossmember beautifully. Hope this helps.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

Autobahn-Outlaw

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 3, 2019
Germany
Thanx,
i know the Holley pan. But i dont know, if i can change the factory drysump pan
to the Holley wetsump pan ? This is critical for me.
Do you know this ? I dont need this drysump and this would be a nice solution.

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
Thanx,
i know the Holley pan. But i dont know, if i can change the factory drysump pan
to the Holley wetsump pan ? This is critical for me.
Do you know this ? I dont need this drysump and this would be a nice solution.
No, I'm not suggesting converting to the holley pan. Instead, Use the measurements from the holley pan and compare them to your pan. If the measurements of the pan in the crossmember area is the similar to your, it may work.

Reactions: 1 user

Autobahn-Outlaw

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 3, 2019
Germany
The Double AA K-Member looks real nice. I googled it, because i didnt know it.
But this is a racing part and i cant get any DOT or TÜV on this, it must be original looking and
streetable.
The Dimensions of the Holley and the original drysump pan are not even close.
After a research i found a few solutions. Not really cheap and i am looking further.
The adapter could fit and it goes to AN-Fittings :
Or a new drysumppan or a conversation to wetsump:

Both not really cheap and i am open to other suggestions...

G.P.

Apprentice
Sep 21, 2019
MAGA North
Im going to go out on a limb and say yes the dry sump will work, however dry sump can be difficult to package when a loose line or improperly mounted tank can mean oil starvation or worse... one of the typical benefits of a dry sump system is increased clearance under your car... for street/strip normality i would agree 100% with swapping to a wet sump. look on amazon for the gm pan kit ... unless your super low or have bucks to burn the gm kit comes with a better profile pan (then an oe truck one..) , gasket, dipstick, pickup and windage tray.. the Holley one says in the fine print to find these things on your own. minus the pickup... put one in a 79 f body and it was under 400 Canadian shipped. the Holley pan is more than that..

That being said, the Holley its also shorter with more clearance... some need this.. i dont think at stock ride height, or close too it you should need that unicorn sciencepan. so do some looking before you pick...

their are a lot of options for pans out there and you shouldn't have any issue selling your corvette voodoo black magic pan setup to someone who needs the Clarence for a race-car or the like if you try.. or even trade straight across for what you need.

ive chopped my car and now with harvesting some factory gm truck mounts via death wheel mine accepts a stock pan, mounts, and i should be able to drop the pan in car... again not right for everyone...
i only care about junk like being able to service it in the car because im expecting to have to swap engines like a hooker changes underwear.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00BZR4ZW6/?tag=rippca-20

Attachments

• 20190418_092932.jpg
    20190418_092932.jpg
    570 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_20190602_023814.jpg
    IMG_20190602_023814.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 265
  • Informative
Reactions: 2 users

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users

G.P.

Apprentice
Sep 21, 2019
MAGA North
that must be one classy street corner if hookers are wearing panties. :banana:
to Quote the great Doug Stanhope " dont get the 100 dollar hooker on payday save up and get the 1500 dollar heidi fleiss on new years eve...dont eat a few pieces of the mushroom and see some colors, eat the whole bag and SEE GOD!... just not all the time... excess in moderation..." revrend stanhope is full of life lessons like this that have served me well. He is the George Carlin of our generation.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor