LS3 vs LS9 Block

Status
Not open for further replies.

MechMan

Master Mechanic
Sep 13, 2018
Kingsport, TN
I am currently in the planning phase of a LS motor build. I am planning on building an LS3 but i see that the LS9 block is about $32 cheaper on summit. It really is a insignificant differance but it got me thinkg. What would the advantages be to use the LS9 block instead of the LS3? Not going to do any forced induction with this build. what is everyone's thoughts?

MechMan

Master Mechanic
Sep 13, 2018
Kingsport, TN
Is the LS9 dry sump? I'm thinking it is, and that might be a problem for a regular street build.
As far as i knew it could be wet or dry. Was just curious why it would be cheaper and if there really was any benefit to using the LS9 for N/A.

Last edited:

MechMan

Master Mechanic
Sep 13, 2018
Kingsport, TN
LSA is wet sump. It’s similar to the LS9, but there are some differences. Strange that it’s cheaper.
I know. I used the part number that was givin and found it on jegs for about x2 the price. Not sure if someone messed up at summit.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Reactions: 1 user

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
LS9 Has billet mains and uses 12mm head bolts rather than 11mm. Those are the differences I could find, other than the oil squirters.

That would deter me because the cost savings would be eaten up on the corvette tax for the 12mm head bolts. Strength wise I don't think you would see the difference unless you were building a max effort race motor. My opinion is 2002-2004 LQ4 block, as they are the same basic casting as the aluminum LS1, so over built for a iron block. The LQ4 block is cheap like Ramen noodles on summit, if you needed to go new, although they have proven to be more than adequate from high mile donors. 😉

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Siamese bore aluminum 5.3L is the bees knees.

The LS9 block is just for Cars and Crappy bragging rights. Honestly any decent L92 gets you all the engine you will ever require - just add a cam and boost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor