LS9 camshaft

Status
Not open for further replies.

WelfareWagon

Apprentice
Jun 12, 2017
Missouri
Anyone in here ever put an LS9 camshaft in a 5.3? Wanting to know if I need different pushrods. I know I'll need different springs and I've got new lifters. Also will I need to relocate my cam sensor?

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
In regards to the pushrods, stock "should" work but its best to measure just to be safe.
You will need an ls2 front cover that mounts the cam sensor on the cover. Also, you will need a 2005 ls2 1x cam sprocket, cam extension harness, a new chain and an ls2 chain dampener(trick flow sells a dampener kit to work with the ls1 block).
If need be, I will be glad to help out with part numbers, just let me know.

I recently finished my 5.3 short block and used the trick flow dampener....well made product!!!
20170604_162706.jpg
20170607_132205.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

WelfareWagon

Apprentice
Jun 12, 2017
Missouri
In regards to the pushrods, stock "should" work but its best to measure just to be safe.
You will need an ls2 front cover that mounts the cam sensor on the cover. Also, you will need a 2005 ls2 1x cam sprocket, cam extension harness, a new chain and an ls2 chain dampener(trick flow sells a dampener kit to work with the ls1 block).
If need be, I will be glad to help out with part numbers, just let me know.

I recently finished my 5.3 short block and used the trick flow dampener....well made product!!! View attachment 71014 View attachment 71015
Why will I need the ls2 chain and damper?

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Why will I need the ls2 chain and damper?
If your chain is still tight it won't matter, just swap it onto the new gears. To me, it's cheap insurance to install a new chain if it's already apart.
The dampener isn't mandatory, just another peace of mind parts. It prevents chain whip under instant deceleration which could cause the chain to sling itself from the sprockets!

If you work at a dealership and can get chevy parts at discount, the $$$ saved on discounts would ease the blow of the $50 trick flow kit.

Reactions: 1 users

WelfareWagon

Apprentice
Jun 12, 2017
Missouri
Sweet. I think the LS9 cam is going to happen then. I called our chevy store and they looked up part numbers for me and they use the same pushrod for every LS lol. 97 vette to 2013 corvette zr1. Looks like I'll have about 300 in the swap then.

Reactions: 1 user

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Duh....the timing chain isn't LS2 specific, summit sells one for $30 that's heavy duty and made by rolon. Yet again, you should be able to get a GM chain for cheaper with a discount.

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Sweet. I think the LS9 cam is going to happen then. I called our chevy store and they looked up part numbers for me and they use the same pushrod for every LS lol. 97 vette to 2013 corvette zr1. Looks like I'll have about 300 in the swap then.
Yeah, from my understanding the pushrod length didn't change which allowed GM to interchange and use leftovers on each new LS platform. I'm pretty sure the lifters stayed the same as well in regards to dimensions....but they improved them as the LS7 are supposed to be cat's meow lol! However, the Gen4 changed that trend when GM introduced the AFM/DOD nonsense!

WelfareWagon

Apprentice
Jun 12, 2017
Missouri
Yes I agree. I was looking at going with megasquirt but I already have a stock harness and computer so I think I'll go that route and order hpt. We will see. ldr will be a big help I'm sure.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
You would be better off with a used LS2/LS6 cam... if you do stick with the LS9 cam be prepared to set your shift points rather high. Beehive springs will work, but don't assume that the LS9 springs are sufficient because those engines had lighter valvetrain components.

• Informative
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor