West Michigan
Auburn gear.

Doug

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

a.graham52

Greasemonkey
Oct 19, 2017
I suggest the Detroit truetrac, they have the 26 and 28 spline versions. From what I've read you can upgrade to 28 spline axles if you don't already have them, drop in replacements.

does this mean i could go find an s10 axle and pull carrier and axles? then transfer over my ring gear?

xylorex

Master Mechanic
Aug 2, 2018
New Orleans, LA
I haven't verified this, but I'm pretty sure the s10 axles will not be the correct length

What I mean by drop in replacements, is that you can buy aftermarket axles for your application with 28 splines (mine are Moser)

Last edited:

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
80s Fbodys also came with 26 spline clutch type limited slip carriers...if you don't want Gov-Loc. IIRC I pulled mine from an '87 Camaro.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
does this mean i could go find an s10 axle and pull carrier and axles? then transfer over my ring gear?

Yes, sort of.

'Transfer over my ring gear' - this can be a somewhat tricky unbolt from one diff and bolt to another. You can't swap a between 2 and 3 series diffs. I.e. if you have a set of 3.08 gears in your car and you pickup a diff from an S10 with 3.42's, then that's not going to work. Next is that you really need to check the setup when swapping bearings and diffs. It might work out just fine, or be close enough, and your HP/TQ will dictate how long an incorrectly set up gear pattern will last.

'does this mean i could go find an s10 axle and pull carrier and axles?' If you check the setup and have the correct differential series, then yes if you make a couple of spacer plates to bolt between the axle flange and backing plate. The issue is that the S10 axles are just a little less than 3/8" of longer. But I've done this and it was a darn cheap and reliable upgrade with complete junkyard parts.

I've described this setup before, but here it goes again, find a newer 2WD S10, 94/95 or newer, for the 28 spline axles and a diff of the same or newer generation. Or better yet, find a 4th Gen Camaro Torsen posi unit, as I did. Between the Torsen, junkyard S10 axles and gears, and new bearing kit I was less than $300 into it. It took me a couple of hours to make the spacers out of 1/4" steel plate - it will test your cutting, drilling and grinding skills - but more perseverance than expertise - lol. This setup is now in the basement as our spare if and when the 8.5 goes kaflooey, but it made it through a full summer of well over 400 whp burnouts and driving - about 7k miles. It looks like we just put it together when it was removed.

Of course you could drop the $260 on a set of Moser axles and never worry about them breaking again - the gears will explode in a 7.5 before you'll break one of their axles.

• Informative
Nov 4, 2012
What kind of power can a 7.625" actually take with 28 spline Moser axles and a good limited slip carrier? I'm gonna have to address my rear axle before I actually start driving the car (the 2.41 peg legger isn't gonna work) and I'm kinda just weighing my options.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
There's a lot of pretty fast LT1 and LS1 Camaros running around with them.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
What kind of power can a 7.625" actually take with 28 spline Moser axles and a good limited slip carrier? I'm gonna have to address my rear axle before I actually start driving the car (the 2.41 peg legger isn't gonna work) and I'm kinda just weighing my options.
So far, 216bhp and ~250ft-lbs, paired with a Trickflow diff cover and Cooper Cobras. Also, many burnouts and at least 5 race days on medium comp track slicks. Been about 7 years I think.

Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY

On street tires, well over 500hp On slick - close to 500. A local was made a lot of run at just over 6 seconds with a 250 nitrous shot on an LS1 before he began twisting off factory axles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor