LT1 fan switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Hey guys, I have a 96 LT1 in my Malibu with the fan switch in the water pump. About how much coolant do I need to drain to get below the fan switch so I can replace it without making a mess?

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Fan switch? Or ECT sensor? I have a 93 with the 1 year only ECM and even it has fan settings in the tune. Only thing in my pump is an ECT sensor. To your question though, I'd venture a guess at no more than a gallon. Block holds about 2 gallons and a stock radiator about 1. If your coolant is fresh, drain it in a clean bucket and dump it right back in when you're done.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Fan switch? Or ECT sensor? I have a 93 with the 1 year only ECM and even it has fan settings in the tune. Only thing in my pump is an ECT sensor. To your question though, I'd venture a guess at no more than a gallon. Block holds about 2 gallons and a stock radiator about 1. If your coolant is fresh, drain it in a clean bucket and dump it right back in when you're done.
Thanks for the response. Yes it's the fan switch. Carb swap, no ecm, EWP, etc. I know it's nonsense but I don't like reusing coolant. Guess I'll just bite the bullet lol. Thanks again

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
If you get the new one prepped ready and have the old one loose, you can change them out losing barely any. I've done many temp sensors that way in Engines, the loss of coolant is negligible.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I run the coolant through a paint strainer if I'm going to reuse it.

Reactions: 1 users

JD1964

Master Mechanic
Dec 31, 2014
I catch and reuse coolant all the time. I don’t use it forever though. It gets changed out on manufacturers recommended intervals

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor