LT1 in 78 Malibu wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Others may chime in with the right details, but at least you now have a potential source. For those prices, perhaps they can spare a few minutes of customer service.

Reactions: 1 user

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
One other thing,

Could someone please describe the battery wiring (Is it positive lead to starter and ground to alt bracket??) i would like to try to replicate factory G body layout as much as possible and adjust as needed

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
You'll need an adapter plug harness for plug & play. For the starter, big ring with the fusible links go on the big stud with the battery cable. The small ring will go on to the….
Pagrunt, so regarding the battery, my battery positive goes down to the starter big stud. Is there another positive lead from the battery that goes somewhere else (maybe alternator?) i cant remember.

I need to dig thru my parts when i get home. Hoping I saved my late model battery leads…

Also. Does 78 malibu have the “no charge” light on the dash? I *think it does but not able to check. My cluster only has speedometer and fuel gauge I believe, and I am unsure what it has for lights

Last edited:

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Pagrunt, so regarding the battery, my battery positive goes down to the starter big stud. Is there another positive lead from the battery that goes somewhere else (maybe alternator?) i cant remember.

I need to dig thru my parts when i get home. Hoping I saved my late model battery leads…

Also. Does 78 malibu have the “no charge” light on the dash? I *think it does but not able to check. My cluster only has speedometer and fuel gauge I believe, and I am unsure what it has for lights
That other wire may be a 10 gauge red or black red wire (going with mid '80's on positive cables on SBC's in our cars) that would go on the alternator stud instead of having that wire in the harness itself & won't have any fusible links. If it's a heavier gauge wire/cable then that'll be something related to the donor car.
All cars with out a volt gauge will have a Volt/Battery/Charge light. It can be possible the bulb is bad or even missing. Basic warning lights in a non-gauge car will be the Volt, Temp, Oil, Brake. The sweep style dash will also have some extras that most likely wasn't used.

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
That other wire may be a 10 gauge red or black red wire (going with mid '80's on positive cables on SBC's in our cars) that would go on the alternator stud instead of having that wire in the harness itself & won't have any fusible links. If it's a heavier gauge wire/cable then that'll be something related to the donor car.
All cars with out a volt gauge will have a Volt/Battery/Charge light. It can be possible the bulb is bad or even missing. Basic warning lights in a non-gauge car will be the Volt, Temp, Oil, Brake. The sweep style dash will also have some extras that most likely wasn't used.
Thank you. I do have my LT1 battery harness (pos + neg and multiple eyelets) Pic attached. Check out 1 thru 5 and let me know what you think. Is 1 not needed on our cars? I *think* i have the rest correct

Regarding the alternator wiring, my research has led me to believe the resistor is not needed because my car has the warning light (thanks for verifying btw). Instead of buying the harness I just copied the pictures of the adapter which is red to red, brown to brown, and the black (middle wire) coming from alternator is not used.

Attachments

• 12540B01-2321-4D7A-B772-AF2D10F09256.jpeg
    12540B01-2321-4D7A-B772-AF2D10F09256.jpeg
    326 KB · Views: 63

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Thank you. I do have my LT1 battery harness (pos + neg and multiple eyelets) Pic attached. Check out 1 thru 5 and let me know what you think. Is 1 not needed on our cars? I *think* i have the rest correct

Regarding the alternator wiring, my research has led me to believe the resistor is not needed because my car has the warning light (thanks for verifying btw). Instead of buying the harness I just copied the pictures of the adapter which is red to red, brown to brown, and the black (middle wire) coming from alternator is not used.
#1 might be for one of the under hood fuse boxes/relay centers from the donor.

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
#1 might be for one of the under hood fuse boxes/relay centers from the donor.
This is a dumb question but I have to ask. My starter has 2 large terminals. One has an integrated strap that goes into the starter body. The other (in my pic) has a big red arrow going to it.

My guess is that all my big eyelet starter connections (1 from malibu harness and 1 from battery harness) go to the terminal with the red arrow, and nothing gets put on the lug with the strap. Is this correct?

Attachments

• 98951C40-C9A5-497B-9B03-EC813068C155.jpeg
    98951C40-C9A5-497B-9B03-EC813068C155.jpeg
    87.8 KB · Views: 53

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
This is a dumb question but I have to ask. My starter has 2 large terminals. One has an integrated strap that goes into the starter body. The other (in my pic) has a big red arrow going to it.

My guess is that all my big eyelet starter connections go to the terminal with the red arrow, and nothing gets put on the lug with the strap. Is this correct?
I'm lost on that one. My "mini" starter I got from Pace years back that I thought was like a LT unit doesn't look like that. Looks more like the older starts & have just two studs.

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
I'm lost on that one. My "mini" starter I got from Pace years back that I thought was like a LT unit doesn't look like that. Looks more like the older starts & have just two studs.
Well let me ask you this. Does your harness terminal and battery terminal go to the same big lug?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor