LT1 into 84 Cutlass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verz

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 14, 2006
Wichita KS
Have an 84 cutlass minus motor and trans and was planning a rebuild. My initial plan was for a supercharged 350 but now im planning on an LT1/trans swap. Car started as a v6 but had a 350 swapped in. Any idea how easy/hard this swap would be and what would be needed.

SBCregal

Master Mechanic
Jan 22, 2006
computer, harness, fuel lines, tank, pump, ignition, sensors, probably a transmission crossmember to start with. sounds like a good project. alot of work and alot of parts im sure.

85t5mcss

Master Mechanic
Apr 24, 2006
Indy, IN
Very good project. (Not intended to spoil your fun) This has been done b4, this is a good thing. Plenty of help on the net, just google it. Also take a look at MonteCarloSS.com What goes for the Monte also goes for the Cutlass.

Verz

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 14, 2006
Wichita KS
yea know its been done just like the idea of better fuel economy and throttle response. Prolly just find a wrecked LT1 fbody or caprice and raid it for parts i need. Thanks for the help and ill go check out that site

85t5mcss

Master Mechanic
Apr 24, 2006
Indy, IN
Verz said:
Prolly just find a wrecked LT1 fbody or caprice and raid it for parts i need.
That's the best way to do it. And I hope I didn't offend u. I am with u on the whole MPG and performance aspect. So many parts r available now for the LT and LS series engines.

Verz

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 14, 2006
Wichita KS
not offended at all, and i really do appreciate the help

Bubba

n00b
Oct 6, 2006
I'm doing a 1994 Z28 motor and T6 into a 1985 Regal

The clutch pedal was the biggest pain in the butt.

The engine,radiator and trans pretty much fit right in.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v449/ ... 000362.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v449/ ... 000365.jpg

I still have lots of things to finish, power steering hose, exhaust ,shifter ,coolant plumbing, fuel plumbing

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v449/ ... 000364.jpg

right now a pencil might fit between the a/c clutch and frame rail

Unless you have another car to use and don't need your car, don't even think you can do it in a week or something like that.

If your cutlass is a spare car and you got the money to do it, go for it and figure $5,000 to $10,000 depending on what you pay for a wreck and how many new parts you pour into the project.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v449/ ... /buick.jpg

what the hell, I'm riding on 70's Camaro wheels, might as well have a 90's camaro driveline :p

feel free to ask questions. People on the internet helped me get this far on it.

Jman

Greasemonkey
Jan 4, 2006
Ontario
Bubba, things look sweet. I did the TPI swap w/ 5speed. Wish I had found a 6speed, but thats on the list now.

Bubba

n00b
Oct 6, 2006
Thanks Jman

hint Verz

get a black felt marker

buy a box of ziplocks bags and bag the nuts and bolts from both cars and mark the bags

trans bolts
O-trans
C-trans
o-for oldsmoblie
c-for chevy

bell housing bolts

cross member bolts

starter bolts
o-starter
c-starter

and on and on.

You could throw all the olds cutless nuts and bolts you think you will never need in a box or bucket and than go dig threw them all when you find out you do need one of them :cry:

bag and mark them all from both cars

get masking tape and mark every wire and connector.

the few minutes here and there on the disassemly to mark the stuff will save lots of time when it comes to putting things back together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor