LT1 swap update - split loom install

Status
Not open for further replies.

JD1964

Master Mechanic
Dec 31, 2014
We bought a 94 z28 as a parts donor car for our 79 Malibu wagon. The purpose is to swap the LT1 and 4L60e in. The donor car is complete so we should have most of what we need. Im sure we will start other threads on this matter but for now theres just a general question.

Aside from the engine, trans and related components, will any other suspension, steering, brake parts be viable for upgrading the wagon? Again, this donor Camaro is 100% complete.

Thank, John

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
You could save the posi unit and gear set from the rear door if you plan on keeping the 7.5 but you would need 28 spline axles.
You can also swap the rear disc brakes.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
Save the duel radiator fans and the radiator. I know the fans will fit. Does it have rear disc brakes?

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
radiator, fans, and radiator top plate. top plate can be modified to hold radiator and fans and it does fit under the hood. i know , I've done it. a/c condenser can be modified to work also. you'll need sbc mounts. the air pump pipe will need to be removed. a/c comp may rub or hit on frame, clearance can be obtained with a bottle torch and 10lb hammer. exhaust manifolds will work with modification to "y" pipe. dual exhaust transmission crossmember is beneficial but not required, elongate the slot for the trans mount and put the crossmember in at an angle so 3 out of the 4 bolts will mount up to the frame.

i don't know about the front brakes but the rear, while not as popular as 98-02 ls brakes, should be useable.

I've done a similar swap with my caballero, but used an lt1 from a caprice. i'll post pics of the top plate mod.

JD1964

Master Mechanic
Dec 31, 2014
Save the duel radiator fans and the radiator. I know the fans will fit. Does it have rear disc brakes?

yes, the z28 has rear disc

JD1964

Master Mechanic
Dec 31, 2014
Lt1/60e should make for a really good driver!

Hell yeah! Matter of fact we already have a 96 LT1 vette automatic. That engine has Lloyd Elliott spec Lunati cam and reflashed ecu. Only other mod is 3.54 rear gear. Everything else is stock including cast iron manifolds, cats, etc. Its a fantastic driver and also goes 12.80’s at 110.

The z gets towed over tomorrow. Everything looks good mechanically and the owner claims it had the trans rebuilt right before it was taken off the road. It sat for a few years because of a wreck to the right front corner but its really not bad. All fluids look good and it has 125k miles on the ticker. With a fresh battery i got it cranking good but couldnt get fuel pressure at the rail. Tried the diagnostic bypass and still no go. I think the pump is seized because you cant hear it prime. It fired and ran for a few seconds with ether shot in the throat. Even developed 35-40 psi oil pressure in that short run time. Im thinking a new fuel pump and she’s alive!

JD1964

Master Mechanic
Dec 31, 2014
Here’s the wagon which will be the recipient. And the donor z. I changed the tires on the z before the pic was taken. It had flat tires and was down in the weeds. I wanted it up off the ground so the tow truck guy could get it easier. None of the wheels are seized which was a surprise to me.

D5F50525-FD92-403E-823B-48C61556AECC.jpeg
099DC5EF-94BF-49BF-A289-E28993520EE2.jpeg
DC4E2D8C-5014-4EF1-86AF-65E27B0263DA.png

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor