Lt1 swapped cutlass won’t start but will shoot flames out the headers!?

85broughamlt1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 21, 2022
I’ve got an Lt1 out of an impala ss w a small stage 2 cam, shorty headers and a carb swap. I’ve mounted the engine and tried starting it but will just not go for it. It shoots flames out the headers aswell as a little bit of gas out the carb. I’ve tried moving my dist since I though it would be 180 out but does the same thing except worse, it will then shoot gas out the carb violently and will no longer shoot flames out the headers so I moved it back. I’ve quadruple checked my tdc on compression stroke.
I’m stuck and am not sure what to do as this is my first car and my first build
knowledge and experience isn’t the best as I am just a senior in High School nd dont have many people around with the same interests. I’ve heard it could be the camshafts timing or rockers being to tight, the engine was rebuilt so I’m not 100% sure everything is completely correct inside,ANY INFORMATION WILL HELP! If anyone has any idea of what to do that could PLS help me out would be greatly appreciated, I’ve thought about getting someone to finish the job as I do need the car n want to drive it already but i aint rich nd I know it’ll be worth all the irritating headaches once I’m done w it myself;)

Last edited:

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
I read you triple checked your TDC vs compression stroke but then you moved distributor suspecting 180 out?

Write your steps here.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor