Lunati Flat Tappet EFI Cams

Status
Not open for further replies.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Has anyone used one of these cams & care to offer your experience?

I was gifted a used 400 from a buddy that passed last year (817 2-bolt block, dished cast pistons, Dart Iron Eagle 200/64cc, Eddy Perf RPM, 1 5/8 headers, 2.5 dual h-pipe exhaust out of a 71 El Camino).
A buddy & I tore into the motor recently & found it's in need of some love. Seems it saw some excessive juice more than once & was missing 1/4 of the crown on one piston (yet still had cylinder pressure when we tested LoL).

Since the OE 305/2bbl/th350 in the Bu isn't exactly a threat & gets about 10mpg w/city driving, I'm toying w/the idea of going to a local rebuilders I've used before & get a fresh short block w/flat tops vs. the dished pistons @ no difference in the cost. This is a very budget deal w/parts already on hand & I'll use some new/old AFR 190 Street heads w/74cc combustion chambers. I've been researching cams & when doing the engine calcs, I get within 10hp using one of these Lunati EFI flat tappets vs budget (Howards) Hyd Roller spec cams. The flat tappet approach is <$250; the HYD Roller ~ $725. The one that seems to be the right fit: 280/290 ADV; 230/240 @.050; .489/.520 w/1.5's; 112LSA/108ICL.

This would be a 100% 'street/torque' build. No racing intended/expected.

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Has anyone used one of these cams & care to offer your experience?

I was gifted a used 400 from a buddy that passed last year (817 2-bolt block, dished cast pistons, Dart Iron Eagle 200/64cc, Eddy Perf RPM, 1 5/8 headers, 2.5 dual h-pipe exhaust out of a 71 El Camino).
A buddy & I tore into the motor recently & found it's in need of some love. Seems it saw some excessive juice more than once & was missing 1/4 of the crown on one piston (yet still had cylinder pressure when we tested LoL).

Since the OE 305/2bbl/th350 in the Bu isn't exactly a threat & gets about 10mpg w/city driving, I'm toying w/the idea of going to a local rebuilders I've used before & get a fresh short block w/flat tops vs. the dished pistons @ no difference in the cost. This is a very budget deal w/parts already on hand & I'll use some new/old AFR 190 Street heads w/74cc combustion chambers. I've been researching cams & when doing the engine calcs, I get within 10hp using one of these Lunati EFI flat tappets vs budget (Howards) Hyd Roller spec cams. The flat tappet approach is <$250; the HYD Roller ~ $725. The one that seems to be the right fit: 280/290 ADV; 230/240 @.050; .489/.520 w/1.5's; 112LSA/108ICL.

This would be a 100% 'street/torque' build. No racing intended/expected.
Dude, I have the perfect cam for what you need. It's a Comp 268XFI cam new in box with lifters and the specs are pretty close to what you listed. Standby I'll get you pics of it. I bought it for a 355 build and changed routes and ended up LS swapping my Cutlass.

Reactions: 4 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Here ya go, still in the original box and even shipping box. I took these pics when I got it several years back. PM me if interested, I'll let it go for helluva deal.
20170720_164406.jpg
20170720_164436.jpg
20170720_164447.jpg

Reactions: 5 users

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
I have never had a problem w/ a flat tappet cam and I'm older that dirt. Proper oil, break-in, and most of all using the springs recommended for the cam. All too many people fail to set the proper spring height and set drive train geometry.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Dude, I have the perfect cam for what you need. It's a Comp 268XFI cam new in box with lifters and the specs are pretty close to what you listed. Standby I'll get you pics of it. I bought it for a 355 build and changed routes and ended up LS swapping my Cutlass.

I actually ran one of those cams through my calcs but it was slightly larger (280XFI
I have never had a problem w/ a flat tappet cam and I'm older that dirt. Proper oil, break-in, and most of all using the springs recommended for the cam. All too many people fail to set the proper spring height and set drive train geometry.

That's all I've ever used myself but I have only done 5 (3sbc & 2 bbc). I would go the hyd roller route but the power diff is minimal for this proposed mild combo & the difference saved allows purchasing an updated induction system.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I have always ran solid rollers in my BBC's but when I did the 355 SBC for my Regal I bought my first hydraulic roller and I used a Howards kit with retrofit lifters and paid about $600 a few years ago but they sell for $620 now but Summit usually has a promo code to save $50.
IMO worth the extra money for just the super easy break in alone and the piece of mind that brings plus the bonus of less friction, no special wear additives for the oil, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor