LY6 6.0 or 454

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muswagon

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 29, 2018
WIth help from some members, I know enough to be dangerous on a 454 swap, and there is a ton of great info in this section on a LS swap. But, after driving my Fox notch yesterday with a 408W, I am not sure another loud smelly car is what I want, so 454 is less enticing as a LS....

So here is the question. If I re create the hotrod article where the trackmax cam jumped hp to 514 and tq to 493, with a TKO 600 and 3:73 gears, just how much fun we talkin?

I love low end, light to light kinda stuff, but I also want the drivability to daily it to work in summer.

As far as core prices, I can get a gen IV 454 for $350 and a 2009 LY6 with 131K miles for $775 from my boneyard 'connection'

Thoughts?

87National

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2009
eastern SD
WIth help from some members, I know enough to be dangerous on a 454 swap, and there is a ton of great info in this section on a LS swap. But, after driving my Fox notch yesterday with a 408W, I am not sure another loud smelly car is what I want, so 454 is less enticing as a LS....

So here is the question. If I re create the hotrod article where the trackmax cam jumped hp to 514 and tq to 493, with a TKO 600 and 3:73 gears, just how much fun we talkin?

I love low end, light to light kinda stuff, but I also want the drivability to daily it to work in summer.

As far as core prices, I can get a gen IV 454 for $350 and a 2009 LY6 with 131K miles for $775 from my boneyard 'connection'

Thoughts?
That's a great price on the ly6.....harness, ecm, accessories included?

I would go that route if I were you.....but I may be a little biased.

Muswagon

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 29, 2018
No accessories/harness/ecm. Accessories and ec, I can get cheap, and I am not smart or patient enough to modify stock harness so no biggie.

Tell me about your LS setup?

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
With a TKO600 you would probably enjoy a 4.8 LS with a 22x/23x 0.575" kinda profile. Spin it to 7k and still cruise nice. Still making 425-450hp crank.

4.8s are still cheap too.

Reactions: 2 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Ultimately you have to decide.

If I were deciding for you, I'd say if you already had a 454 or LY6, go with that because you had that in hand. But since you don't, I'd get the LY6. Reason is, parts are also plentiful, and the newer design is light years ahead in workability and reliability, as well as HP per cubic inch. No denying the LS superiority. The trick is all the extras you'll have to deal with adapting one in, especially if you've never done one before. You either go whole hog with an LS swap or go home. There's really no in between.

Best of all though, if you get stuck during the LS swap, a lot of people here have already been ahead of you that can help. Also, the wiring and conversion kits are getting easier and easier to find/purchase.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Greasemonkey
Jul 17, 2018
I decided 454 with the holley sniper kit over the LM7 I had access too. Mainly because the car is just going to be a ugly smelly loud smokey donuts car, with just a plain jane LM7 it would not of been that much fun. Sure I could turbo it, but by the time that was all said and done I could have the same amount of fun with the big block and save a few pennies in the process.

With that being said, my situation is pretty specific. If it was a car I wanted to daily, or build an actually fast car then the LS platform shroom stamps all the older stuff in the hp/$ and driveability categories.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
I am not sure another loud smelly car is what I want, so 454 is less enticing as a LS....
Thoughts?

LOL, Loud and smelly is usually the case. LY6 is my vote especially if you can pick one up for that price. Just a thought for you if you like low end torque and HP.....We paid $2,500 for one with 55K miles and stuck a ZL1 warranty take off blower on it (check e bay). In a Chevy Avalance, it produced just under 500 whp with the stock pulley (7 lbs. of boost). We recently changed the pulley which produces 12 lbs. of boost. We will be up at Silver Lake sand dunes along with a gazillion other people this weekend to test it out. This truck has a factory stall converter and functioning AC so your grandma could drive it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Muswagon

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 29, 2018
I love the idea of a LSA, I have zero experience with them however. That would solve any instant torque I would be missing with an LS vs 454

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
Having had many big blocks (and I do love the torque) my vote is LS anything. The current technology in head flow and cam profiles make an LS think it's a big block with considerable weight and size savings. Jmho
But I really love big blocks too..... If I had the money I'd have another G body with maybe a 598 or 632.... I'm a dreamer. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor