M/t radial issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Yep.... Those (Mickey ET Street S/S) .

I texted my buddy earlier & this was his reply: The first pair were out-of-round & one tire started separating. The separating is what we assumed was causing the vibration. They sent replacements after he sent the 1st pair back for them to inspect. The 2nd pair didn't improve things (also out-of-round).

They wouldn't beat you up constantly but they were very uncomfortable @ certain speeds. He wound up just keeping his stockers on so he could drive it w/o issue. Sucks because he spent $$ to get a pair of matching rear wheels in 17" just to run them.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 2 users

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
The one thing we should have done was document the manufactures code/date. He didn't so we had no way of knowing if that 2nd set was technically from the same batch/group.

Reactions: 1 user

Tc77

Apprentice
Sep 19, 2018
Do you know where they started to separate from? I just had them off and balanced last week I didn’t notice anything.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Do you know where they started to separate from? I just had them off and balanced last week I didn’t notice anything.
Corner of the tire where the sidewall meets the section width. I actually first thought it was just a seam as part of the manufacturing process but a closer look showed it wasn't consistent around the tire.

I started looking there when he was complaining the vibration still existed after rebalancing. MT also pushed back w/the "it could be the other items changed/altered" logic but I balked @ that considering it wasn't an issue w/the original wheels/tires in place.

• Wow

William

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 29, 2016
I would also look at the tires themselves. Sometimes they are out of round. You can see it when the tires are spinning on the balance machine and sometimes you can feel it when you're going really, really slow on a smooth road. They will rock the back end of the car back and forth.

Tc77

Apprentice
Sep 19, 2018
This is what I got so far drive shaft is tight
Rear -5.0
Drive shaft + 2.6

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
You need to check the trans/engine to the diff. Don't worry about the driveshaft.

I have a set of ET Street Radials that I'm trying to get warrantied - 14 oz to balance (eek)

Tc77

Apprentice
Sep 19, 2018
This is on hold for now. Have to pull the motor was tapping and found metal in the oil.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
This is on hold for now. Have to pull the motor was tapping and found metal in the oil.
Maybe it was the engine vibrating and not the tires. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor