Main hoop positioning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyscuffle

Master Mechanic
May 24, 2014
Keysville, VA
Hey guys, working on my cutlass installing a 10pt cage from s&w. Wanted to get some feedback and pics of where exactly to mount the main hoop. Not sure of its exact place ment on the frame. I have it tacked in right now but I can move it if need be.

20190106_184747.jpg

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Before you put in the cage I suggest you box the frame, upgrade the factory welds and change the body bushings is you have not done that yet. Since you have a prefabricated kit I would tack every tube to make sure you have all the tubes the tube where you want them.

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
Put the front seat in where you are going to be comfortable sitting in the car and put the hoop based on your head position.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

KCP

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2018
Bavaria, Germany
I built and installed quite a number of FIA regulated rollcages, so a few advices from my side here.
Material:
Only use seamless tubing, welded tubing might split under high loads and cage will collapse.
Mounting in a car with frame:
You can either weld the cage to the floor boards and wheelwells, or directly to the frame. If you weld the cage to the frame you have to make sure that the frame and body cannot seperate under any circumstances! Last thing you want is find yourself sandwiched between frame mounted cage and seperated body, this gets quity uncomfy in a roll pretty quick. So permanently welding the body to the frame would be your best ticket in this case, other than that you can still weld the cage to the body.
But whatever way you go, make sure to weld base plates between tubing and body/frame. I usually welded 5mm thick plates with at least 10x10cm outline in there. If welding to the body, do the same plating from the underside too.
Extra strength can be achived by welding inserts between body pillars and cage to form one unit out of both.
Been there, rolled more than once.

Reactions: 1 user

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
NHRA requires full frame cars, such as a Gbody or A body have the cage welded to the frame. Not the floor or body. And make sure, the rear bars attach to the upper spring seat for stock suspension, or rear shock mount if using coil overs.

Reactions: 3 users

KCP

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2018
Bavaria, Germany
Good point! Always double check what the sanctioning bodies of the race series demand.

shoedoos

Master Mechanic
Jul 3, 2012
if possible box the frame, it ain't hard, loosen the body mounts, jack the body up above the frame and get in there, you won't regret it. As far as the main hoop, like the other guy says, put your seat in and position the hoop as per whatever rulebook you intend to use for inspection. I am pretty sure it has to be within six inches of your head/helmet. I ran my hoop in line with the B pillar (on the slight angle) so it can't be seen from the side. Get the hoop as high as possible against the roof of the car because my bench seat has my helmet almost above the bar. Just remember you need to get the headliner in above the hoop. Mine slid in through the windshield opening and there's a finger diameter between the top of the hoop and headliner. All welds up top on the hoop can be done while the body is jacked up for the boxing of those rails.
P71231-162511.jpg

GBodyscuffle

Master Mechanic
May 24, 2014
Keysville, VA
Thanks for the responses guys. I'm just now getting to reading them. Working like crazy this week haven't had much time to focus on it.

The cave is from s&w race cars. As long as its installed properly it meets NHRA requirements. So from what I'm reading, I need to get my seat placed and build the cage around it essentially? I mounted the seat last weekend. Fairly comfortable with its position.

And for the headliner, that's not mandatory is it? The old was junk so it went in the trash when I stripped interior for the cage lol.

I'm planning to go ahead and box the frame this weekend. I already have some solid body mounts from trz to install as well. Hopefully it will all do its job. Thanks guys for all the help so far.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
FYI - try to keep your front down tubes as close to the A pillar as possible for line of sight to the tree and recommend putting the cross bar behind the dash which will help

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

shoedoos

Master Mechanic
Jul 3, 2012
just remember to weld some feet under the down bars that mate to your the frame rails. I'm sure you could get away with welding directly to the rails, but a nice flat (and clean) foot makes the welding much easier and cleaner......plus the foot will space the hoop higher into the roof....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor