Main hoop positioning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyscuffle

Master Mechanic
May 24, 2014
Keysville, VA
From my research, it appears there's two styles of main hoop available. One that welds directly on top of the OEM frame rails and another where you need to fabricate a platform to weld inside the rails for it to sit on, you might want to confirm which style the S&W kit has.....

It seems to me that they bent the hoop in a little bit so your harness bar will adjust the width of the hoop if its higher or lower. The lower on the hoop it is. The wider the hoop will be where it mounts to the frame. Vise versa for higher and its narrower. But you just trim the harness bar to fit as needed. And it welds directly to top frame rails

RecklessRegal

Apprentice
Feb 17, 2019
From my research, it appears there's two styles of main hoop available. One that welds directly on top of the OEM frame rails and another where you need to fabricate a platform to weld inside the rails for it to sit on, you might want to confirm which style the S&W kit has.....

This is absolutely incorrect, and the main hoop should never sit on a "platform welded inside the rails", it should ALWAYS sit on the frame rails.

What you are describing is spring back, when tubes are bent they are over bent, for example a 90º bend you would bend it 91º-93º because the tube will want to kick back. In this case, the tube was bent a degree to far, all you need to do is spread it out so that it lines up with the frame rails evenly. Very simple to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor