Making a battery cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
Everybody probably already owns one of these, but I had never seen one before.

As I work to move the battery to my trunk I had 1/0 welding cable and copper ends. I tried my hand at soldering, but didn't trust my work. I found this neat crimping anvil on eBay for less than 20 bucks. It works perfectly and the connection is rock solid and looks like a factory made crimp.

Battery cable anvil.jpg
Batter cable 1.jpg
battery cable 2.jpg

• Useful
Reactions: 14 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Black silicone and heat-shrink tubing, and that will be durable as well as sano.

Made in USA cable. Bravo.

Reactions: 7 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
I always wanted to buy one of them anvils, but always forget until when I need one. Soooo, I resort to a hammer and flathead screwdriver, then some marine grade heat shrink on some USA made Southwire welding cable.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
Never had one either, but recently pulled out some various HD stereo supply 0 to 4 ga ends I bought surplus. Some had allen screws, so that was easy. Others had a split mark in one side, so I was able to crimp 1 side at a time over with end cutter type pliars & then squeeze together.

Reactions: 2 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I bought mine from Temco Industrial many years ago and I use it to make new cables for everything, I just put my piece of heat shrink sleeve on before crimping and then slide it over when I am done.
Most of what I do is 1/0 so it works really well for that. many times I get my cable and ends from them also.

Reactions: 3 users

RICKDIZZLE

Greasemonkey
Sep 16, 2014
Those work amazing! That is how I do all the battery cables for the hydraulic setups I work on. I also add the nice thick heat shrink with the glue on the inside. Slide it over, hit it with a heat gun and boom! Beautiful long lasting cables.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
Good job. I can never seem to find my heavy crimpers when I need them. Depending on the application I have also resorted to putting the clamp end in the vice and filling the end with solder. Break out the torch and dunk the cable in the mixture. Then heat shrink the whole deal

Reactions: 4 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
" putting the clamp end in the vice and filling the end with solder."
That is what I do. I make cables for marine use and I don't trust clamping. By using a blowtorch I fill the open end of the fitting with solder and then dunk the pre-heated cable end. I also like to make sure solder some travels up the cable a bit by capillary action just like sweating copper pipes. That makes the last inch or so of cable very stiff. Then I seal with liquid electic tape, cover with shrink wrap, then finish with more liquid tape. I have never had a cable fail or even get cruddy with this method and boats sit in salt water for 6 months at a time.

Reactions: 6 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
that's pretty cool,custom cables and you get to hit stuff with a hammer..i feel better already.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor