Making Progress - 84 Elco motor swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cuse99

Master Mechanic
Dec 21, 2020
My 84 El Camino is coming along and I hope to get it back next week. New motor is about ready to go in, dual exhaust is done. Its a 2" PYPEs kit from summit and I went with Flowmaster 50 series mufflers. I like the tone on the outside, but I like to still have conversations at highway speeds on the inside. New motor is a Chevy crate 350/265 which should be plenty for a daily driver. My old motor , and I have this on video, did 0-60 in 14.5 seconds. Anything over 200 horses will be fine for me. The Pypes kit did not just bolt on, it had to be fitted and my guy said it was a pain in the *ss. But its done. I also installed a rail system in the deck to strap down toys and stuff to haul gear and whatever for fishing, shooting, lumber and anything else. Daily driver.
Check out the photo of the old motor and see if you can stop any issues.

Attachments

• thumbnail_image1-3.jpg
    thumbnail_image1-3.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 86
  • thumbnail_image0-3.jpg
    thumbnail_image0-3.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 79
  • thumbnail_image1-2.jpg
    thumbnail_image1-2.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 85
  • thumbnail_image0-2.jpg
    thumbnail_image0-2.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 98
Reactions: 3 users

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
My 84 El Camino is coming along and I hope to get it back next week. New motor is about ready to go in, dual exhaust is done. Its a 2" PYPEs kit from summit and I went with Flowmaster 50 series mufflers. I like the tone on the outside, but I like to still have conversations at highway speeds on the inside. New motor is a Chevy crate 350/265 which should be plenty for a daily driver. My old motor , and I have this on video, did 0-60 in 14.5 seconds. Anything over 200 horses will be fine for me. The Pypes kit did not just bolt on, it had to be fitted and my guy said it was a pain in the *ss. But its done. I also installed a rail system in the deck to strap down toys and stuff to haul gear and whatever for fishing, shooting, lumber and anything else. Daily driver.
Check out the photo of the old motor and see if you can stop any issues.
I converted my El C to a serpentine belt system. Used a 94 small Blazer 4.3l with a throttle body for parts. Nice swap. What was deciding factor on the engine as it won't be long for me to put one in my El C

Cuse99

Master Mechanic
Dec 21, 2020
What was deciding factor on the engine as it won't be long for me to put one in my El C
It was enough for a daily driver and has a reputation as a very reliable and strong motor. Its also an easy swap, a direct replacement so no customizing or cutting or anything. I'm building driver, not a weekend warrior or race car. I almost got the 300 hp but the 265hp I expect will be enough and hopefully with the 200 4R I'll get decent gas milage. My last drivetrain change will be the rear gears. I'll see after I drive it for a bit.

Before anyone responds about the 265.... I fully understand I will not a get the full rated power from this motor with my current configuration. I don't care. If I wind up with 225hp that will be plenty. My 89 Camaro was only rated at 190 hp and that was a fun street car back in the day, I'm expecting this to be similar. If I'm wrong and hate it, I'll figure something out.

Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Use up the warranty. A true daily driver will be excellent at 250hp. You can always upgrade later or leave it like it is. A crate motor is 100% better than rebuilding some old turd with a questionable machine shop IMO.

Make sure you have the timing set to what they request and it will be fine.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor