Not open for further replies.

bishop gp

Greasemonkey
Jan 1, 2015
Evansville,IN
IMG_20140225_140022.jpg
IMG_20140225_140022.jpg
IMG_20140225_140008.jpg
1978 dodge w150 powerwagon all time 4x4 with the 318 LA motor (360 intake and 2245 2bbl carb) 727 trans np203 transfer dana 44 front 8 3/4 rear. So far I've rebuilt the carb cleaned the fuel lines replaced the wiring harness almost all of the under hood electronics as well upgraded the alternator and starter changed the massive wheel bearings in the front axle and put a different fuel tank in because the previous one had a massive leak. Planned upgrades include 8 lug axles and leafs from a 3 ton motor home and 37 or 38 inch tires :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Last edited:

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
Sounds familiar !! We completely took apart my friends 78 PW about 15 years ago at work. Ditched the 318 and swapped in the cab, wiring & running gear ( 360 ) from an 86-1 tonne ( D60 ) former diesel service truck for the logging industry. It already came with a 4" body lift kit and 33's. Its not pretty ( desert storm vinyl wrap ) but it will go thru just about anything. I was always amazed how much the frame would flex when offroading

He's got a 440 we pulled over 20 years ago from a rusty low miles Newport in a crate here at work and a cummins in his garage for when the 360 finally takes a dump. Rebuilding that front diff still gives me nightmares. Trying to get the kingpin off and swapping out the bearings was a PIA. Its been parked for a couple years now ( ugly divorce ). Hope to see it off-road again some day

bishop gp

Greasemonkey
Jan 1, 2015
Evansville,IN
Yes those are some of the biggest most pain in the a$$ bearings I've had to change ever. Right now I'm on the search for a front driveshaft (propeller shaft) because I blew the the u joint (lost the slip yoke end) at the axle doin 80 into kentucky. Me and my buddy were goin back to his house after the frog follies the front end started shudderin and then boom front end of the truck lifted lost power and started clankin looked back traffic is slowed almost to a halt and there's a giant cloud of dust and dirt accross the road. As soon as I saw that I knew what happened :oops: so while my buddy is kissin the ground sayin we could've died :roll: I started gettin my tools out of the bed of the truck and got to work burnin my arm on t he exhaust Imean undoing the four bolts that hold the front of the drive shaft in while he holds the flashlight . Got it out and it looks terrible I'm missin a few caps the double cardan joint looks kind ate up to the point that I don't think its use able but we drove away leakin oil and transmission fluid and got to his house safely and surprisingly no cops came or anything but I'm guessin they were watchin us from the window of the weigh station :wtf: but idk

bishop gp

Greasemonkey
Jan 1, 2015
Evansville,IN
Will be reseting the accelerator pump and tuning carb (wish had a vacuum gauge at times like these) today or tomorrow so I can get started on the fun stuff....... rust removal it served time as either a salt truck or a plow truck but has low miles so nothing professional ie county city etc. So the bed will need to come apart because that is where almost all the rust is located.still searching for driveshaft and would love some seats too buckets or anything I can find that fits working overtime tomorrow so I can go junkyard hoppin next weekend woo hoo

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor