MALIBU Malibu 1981 Front sway bar

Status
Not open for further replies.

chiturr

Apprentice
Oct 16, 2018
Hey guys, trying to search if I should go with a UMI ( solid ) or Hotchkis ( holow )front sway bar.

Looking for some advice.

Any help appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
Depends on what you're trying to do with the car. Personally I'd hit the junkyard or classifieds and use either a solid 1 1/4" bar from an F41 equipped gbody or even better a 34 or 36mm hollow bar from a later 3rd gen Fbody ( Iroc, GTA or Formula) for a fraction of the price of either of the aftermarket ones.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I was going to suggest the same thing. Save your money and hit the junkyard. Bring a vernier caliper or an adjustable wrench with a small ruler or tape measure if you don't have a vernier caliper.
Your other option is find someone parting a Monte SS, T-Type, 442, H/O, etc with the 32mm or 1.25"bar...or as Spidereyes said ^^, F-body car...IROC, GTA, etc. again, that's where you'd find the 34-36mm front swaybars.

Btw, how about an introduction and tell us about your ride and what you plan to achieve?

Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Cutlass's have been a source from what I found. I've grabbed several 1.25" bars from them over the years.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Cutlass's have been a source from what I found. I've grabbed several 1.25" bars from them over the years.
That's true. Sometimes you do come across plainjane Cutlasses with F41 suspension... HD front and rear swaybars....or even Pontiac GPs, etc.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

chiturr

Apprentice
Oct 16, 2018
Thanks guys. Great recommendations.I’m from Montreal Quebec and scrapyards here are not that keen on keeping older cars ... I just found a used Hotchkis on eBay and I just ordered it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor