Malibu fuel tank in El Camino

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyD

Apprentice
Feb 16, 2021
Umatilla, Florida
Hi all, Newbie here. Is it possible to install a Malibu (or "other") g-body fuel tank with rear fill into an El Camino with side fill ?
I want to smooth and eliminate the side fill cover and go to rear fill under license plate. I think I will need to make a custom rear bumper but I do metal fab and that wont be a problem, unless somebody knows where to get a rear bumper with tail lights "and" license plate. This will also allow me to smooth my tailgate. Any ideas will be carefully considered. Thanks to all, great site !

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
I would think filling from the bumper area would make a very horizontal fill line into the tank.

For that much work, maybe elco tank modified to the inner wheel well?

JimmyD

Apprentice
Feb 16, 2021
Umatilla, Florida
I would think filling from the bumper area would make a very horizontal fill line into the tank.

For that much work, maybe elco tank modified to the inner wheel well?
Thanks, didn't think about that. Does the Malibu bumper sit that much higher on the body than it does on the Elco ? I've owned both but never had them sitting side by side. Sold the Malibu.

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
They come through the back of the plate which sits higher than the bumper. Even on a Malibu you'd be pretty close to horizontal.

The tanks fill in close to the top, which is pretty much the under side of the bed. Your bumper is lower than the bed

malibudave

Greasemonkey
Mar 12, 2010
Houston, TX
I know a 91 and up B-Body wagon will bolt into an El Camino with a little modification to the filler neck. The B-Body wagon has the fuel filler in the stock location for the El Camino. Maybe the 91 and up B-Body sedan will bolt into the El Camino. The B-Body sedan has the fuel filler in the rear. Part of the fuel filler tube is rubber, so it may be a little easier to locate a custom fuel fill location and then modify the stock B-Body tube to the custom fill location.

JimmyD

Apprentice
Feb 16, 2021
Umatilla, Florida
They come through the back of the plate which sits higher than the bumper. Even on a Malibu you'd be pretty close to horizontal.

The tanks fill in close to the top, which is pretty much the under side of the bed. Your bumper is lower than the bed
Yeah, your right, I remember now. Perhaps I can do something directly under the tailgate in the lower valance, like I said, I do metal fab all day so it's really not that much work (I can do most of it at work) and I'm really just looking at doing something "Outside the box". Plus I really like the idea of a smooth body all the way around. Thanks again.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
If you figure out a solution, when you cut out the gas door, please save the entire sheet metal section for me. I’ve been noodling at going the other way - wagon/elco filler location in a Malibu...

Reactions: 1 user

JimmyD

Apprentice
Feb 16, 2021
Umatilla, Florida
I know a 91 and up B-Body wagon will bolt into an El Camino with a little modification to the filler neck. The B-Body wagon has the fuel filler in the stock location for the El Camino. Maybe the 91 and up B-Body sedan will bolt into the El Camino. The B-Body sedan has the fuel filler in the rear. Part of the fuel filler tube is rubber, so it may be a little easier to locate a custom fuel fill location and then modify the stock B-Body tube to the custom fill location.
Hey, great info, Thanks.

JimmyD

Apprentice
Feb 16, 2021
Umatilla, Florida
If you figure out a solution, when you cut out the gas door, please save the entire sheet metal section for me. I’ve been noodling at going the other way - wagon/elco filler location in a Malibu...
I can do that, may be a bit before I go cutting on my rust free body, LOL.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
No urgency. This is not a top-dollar priority for me, just a concept. The bigger deal is just figuring out paint for the coupe. All the weather beaten lacquer has to come off and that will be project into itself. If you do elect to go through with this plan, I am hoping the assembly does not end up in the recycle bin.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor