Malibu landau top trim/molding removal NEED HELP ASAP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chevyfanaddict

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 8, 2014
Hey guys my car is going in for paint this weekend and as part of the deal its up to me to de-trim the entire car to save on labor costs. Does anyone know how to remove the trim that spans across the top of the roof and the trim tha goes around the top of the trunk. I need to remove it properly cause its in good shape and i plan to re-install it after the car is painted and i have a new vinyl top put on. Any body with any advice would be much appreciated, i am going into the body shop tomorrow morning to do this so time is of the essence. Thanks

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Hey guys my car is going in for paint this weekend and as part of the deal its up to me to de-trim the entire car to save on labor costs. Does anyone know how to remove the trim that spans across the top of the roof and the trim tha goes around the top of the trunk. I need to remove it properly cause its in good shape and i plan to re-install it after the car is painted and i have a new vinyl top put on. Any body with any advice would be much appreciated, i am going into the body shop tomorrow morning to do this so time is of the essence. Thanks
The easiest way is to get the correct tool. It looks like a handle with a bent section and what looks like an arrow at the end. It's only a couple of bucks, and you should be able to get it at your local auto parts store. You just slide one edge of the arrow under the moulding, and give it a slight twist. It'll pop right off.
I'll try to find and post a pic of it.

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 268

Chevyfanaddict

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 8, 2014
Ok thank you for the reply but that looks like the trim around the windshield/rear glass. That is not the trim i am refering to. Im talking about the piece of trim that goes across the leading edge of the vinyl top. Unless the same tool is used for both.

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Ok thank you for the reply but that looks like the trim around the windshield/rear glass. That is not the trim i am refering to. Im talking about the piece of trim that goes across the leading edge of the vinyl top. Unless the same tool is used for both.
Same tool will work for both. Just take your time and work carefully, you should have no problems. My Cutlass was originally a 1/2 vinyl roof car as well, and that's how I removed mine.

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Ok. I've got a Cutlass, the 'Bu might be a bit different. Rather than mislead you, I would suggest PM'ing O.D.Showtime. He parts out lots of those cars, and will be able to tell you exactly how they come off. Good Luck, post pics once she's all painted up!
Donovan

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor