Malibu Quarter Glass install How-to? Anybody?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoedoos

Master Mechanic
Jul 3, 2012
Does anybody have a link for a how-to on removal or installation of the quarter glass in a Malibu? I've done a google and a youtube, and found nothing.....

Last edited:

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Never played with a Malibu, but can you get access to the applicable year Fisher Body manual? I would think THIS would show how the window is attached. And give applicable instructions on R&R. I would think.

Or contact 84 W40 about it. He may have something in his stash of engineering drawings that may show something.

Reactions: 1 user

85ss/85gn

Master Mechanic
Jan 31, 2007
beaver dam,wi
You will need to remove the interior rear side panels the top for sure. Then they are some L- shape brackets around the glass that you will need to remove. Then just have to cut the glass out.

• Agree

shoedoos

Master Mechanic
Jul 3, 2012
It strikes me the lower stainless molding that attaches to the window opening must be sacrificial....that's the part I'm having hassles with....when I pulled the windows out they were mangled in the process. I have a pair of repops now, but they don't want to sit nicely in the corner below the C pillar. everything is cleaned up, the moldings just don't want to sit down flush with the panel....both sides are playing games...

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
It strikes me the lower stainless molding that attaches to the window opening must be sacrificial....that's the part I'm having hassles with....when I pulled the windows out they were mangled in the process. I have a pair of repops now, but they don't want to sit nicely in the corner below the C pillar. everything is cleaned up, the moldings just don't want to sit down flush with the panel....both sides are playing games...
This is one of the illustrations I post in the Malibu section under Malibu Info. I will check to see if theirs any info on the glass.
Screenshot-2019-9-19 Info - GBodyForum - '78-'88 General Motors A G-Body Community.png

Reactions: 1 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
The window trim that you can see from the outside that sits against the glass is not sacrificial. You must cut the butyl before trying to remove the glass, just as you would do a windshield.

shoedoos

Master Mechanic
Jul 3, 2012
any hints on how to get that trim to sit down flat in the rear corner of the window,,,,I have cleaned everything down to bare metal (no gum/butyl residue left) and yet it sits up and the screw holes will not align.....

shoedoos

Master Mechanic
Jul 3, 2012
and 84 W40.....as suggested in an earlier post, do you have any other pages regarding this section of the car?

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
and 84 W40.....as suggested in an earlier post, do you have any other pages regarding this section of the car?
I haven't found any more drawings in the 1978 book around that area, but i do have three other books/year's 79, 80, 81 to look at.
I did find a drawing of the drip moldings, if you want i can post it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor