BUILD THREAD Project Over The Top - Malibu T-Top Conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

superbon54

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2014
Wisco
Two became one today.... at least for a couple minutes. I even threw a set of seats in for giggles. Of course I sat in them and imagined driving with the tops off!

05D3D70B-C468-4406-9887-E39ADDA88523.jpeg
BDE1283D-3431-46D6-91B4-E0D3BA35FEBF.jpeg
E193C338-DB7B-4243-9513-8D390C790707.jpeg

Reactions: 11 users

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Looks awesome! Are you still using Malibu quarter windows in the car? Looks like the glass will be recessed a bit, or am I looking at it wrong?

Reactions: 1 users

superbon54

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2014
Wisco
Looks awesome! Are you still using Malibu quarter windows in the car? Looks like the glass will be recessed a bit, or am I looking at it wrong?

Thanks! I’m using the non-landau quarter glass with the landau interior trim. I had to do that because the b pillar is at a different angle on the Malibu vs the t-top cars. The top edge of the steel was also built to the “height” of the t-tops and the distance from window to the roof evened out. It was all quite the puzzle. The glass is in the stock location, which is recessed. All of the factory trim and drip rail was deleted for a cleaner look, and I have some quarter round belt line molding - similar to the factory lower piece - to run around the edges and give a more flush effect.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
This is definitely one of my favourite new builds to watch. Love the idea and the execution so far, definitely tuned in for the duration. This is my kind of build, right up my alley.

Keep up the amazing work.

• Agree
Reactions: 8 users

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Looks GREAT!!! Rktpwrd and I think in the same alley, I love to see cars made into what the factory never offered . Boy do I know what you mean about a puzzle. My Elco wagon build was a GIANT PUZZLE.

Reactions: 3 users

superbon54

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2014
Wisco
This is definitely one of my favourite new builds to watch. Love the idea and the execution so far, definitely tuned in for the duration. This is my kind of build, right up my alley.

Keep up the amazing work.
Much appreciated! Occasionally I wonder if it’d be easier/better just to build it stock(ish). When I look through some other builds on this site, such as yours it keeps me motivated to stay outside the box. Thanks for being a bad influence!!

Reactions: 2 users

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Much appreciated! Occasionally I wonder if it’d be easier/better just to build it stock(ish). When I look through some other builds on this site, such as yours it keeps me motivated to stay outside the box. Thanks for being a bad influence!!
That’s what I’ve been call

Reactions: 2 users

superbon54

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2014
Wisco
Decide on the color yet?
What series DD gauges are you using?
I’ll say it’s 75% leaning towards the white with silver bottom, mainly for sentimental reasons. Years ago the car started out white, and the silver would be the same hue as my first “restoration”.

I’m running the RTX gauges.

Reactions: 5 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Beautiful work. That's really going to be a special car. That guage set looks very, very nice.

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor