Malibu tach confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
Ok, here is my question. I have an 80 Malibu with the chevy 229 V6. It also has the sport gauge dash with a clock and no tach. What is required to install a tach in place of the clock AND have it work for a v8? Thanks.

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
You should have the white wire for the tach under the dash IF your car came with the optional gauge cluster with the gauges but the large clock instead of the tach.
This will have the spade connector on it that connects to the short harness that goes through the firewall (the one with the tach filter) that plugs into the distributor.
As for the calibration of V6 vs V8, I believe there was something on the back side of the factory tach that could "calibrate it".

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
You should have the white wire for the tach under the dash IF your car came with the optional gauge cluster with the gauges but the large clock instead of the tach.
This will have the spade connector on it that connects to the short harness that goes through the firewall (the one with the tach filter) that plugs into the distributor.
As for the calibration of V6 vs V8, I believe there was something on the back side of the factory tach that could "calibrate it".
Thanks a lot. So I guess I need to buy a short harness with the filter and the tach. Hopefully that is all I need to do.

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
You'll need the mounting bracket for the tach..the clock bracket won't work..

The 78-85 tachs had the clock within the tach and the bracket had a cutout for the clock mech.

Tach Bracket Backside.JPG

The standard large clock bracket isn't the same..

P2140003.JPG

Chevy used different tachs for V6 and V8..

Tach part numbers.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
You'll need the mounting bracket for the tach..the clock bracket won't work..

The 78-85 tachs had the clock within the tach and the bracket had a cutout for the clock mech.

View attachment 125970

The standard large clock bracket isn't the same..

View attachment 125971

Chevy used different tachs for V6 and V8..

View attachment 125972

I bought a NOS 86-88 "non SS" tacha few years ago, same RPM coloring for the LG4 and from what I could find, LB4 cars (only found a few factory tach 4.3 cars in pictures, tachs look the same between LG4 & LB4) and inside of the box it had stickers for V6 & V8. It reads correctly on my SBC, always wondered if the 4.3 tachs are really different at all. Odd that the new tach would have stickers for both inside.

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
I understand the difference between the LG4 & L69 V-8 tach's is the red line. I have a 85 SS tach (L69) for my 79 Monte Carlo and it has the 5500 RPM red line where as the 78-79 dial face LG4 set in the car has a 5000RPM red line.

LG4 78-79 Dial face

P1012105.JPG

L69 80-85 Dial face
P1012084.JPG

Reactions: 4 users

Cwc

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 27, 2017
I have a nos tach bracket for the clock I would let go

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor