Malibu wagon tailgate latch question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mighty

Greasemonkey
Oct 22, 2022
Hey guys, finally got my 79 wagon back on a rack to put the new gas tank in. I put a new battery in and was getting the sending unit all buttoned up when for some odd reason my brother decided he wanted to take the tailgate all apart. This car has been in the family for over 20 years and the tailgate has never been opened. The back glass has never latched either if I remember right. The lock cylinder was busted up when we bought the car and we were having a little trouble getting the mechanism out without bending/breaking something. I’ve provided some pictures of one little lever??? For lack of a better term and outlined it in white. Just curious to know if anyone on here knows off the top of their head or can tell if it’s bent/screwed up just by looking at it. Everything just seems bound up. Probably not the best picture but I can get more Thursday night. The second picture isn’t as zoomed in. It’s safe to assume that El Camino tailgates are the same correct? Incase I have to go looking for parts
3AD2F28A-F969-47FB-9C5E-F78532FD5D0F.jpeg
87D1B96E-6D48-4E66-A6EC-90615AD11C0C.jpeg

BlairC_789

Apprentice
Jun 18, 2021
North Carolina
That tab is supposed to be turned by the lock cylinder, when it is turned it opens the latches for the tailgate on the side. It looks bent in the same way mine is bent. My latch also isn't put together fully because my lock cylinder is broke, but it still opens and closes correctly.
I took some pictures of mine. I circled that tab on mine in white. on the second picture I used my finger to turn it clockwise (if you are looking at it from the back of the car) in order to get a picture of it . When you turn it that direction it opens the tailgate latches. Also in the first picture you'll see a second spring, that spring isn't supposed to be there but its how it keep the hatch glass closed since the lock cylinder isn't there.
I know how 90% of the mechanism works so ask any questions and Ill try to answer, and any more pictures if you need.
unnamed (4).jpg
unnamed (3).jpg
unnamed (5).jpg

Reactions: 1 users

Mighty

Greasemonkey
Oct 22, 2022
Thanks for the response Blair. I might be stealing the spring for the window latch idea if I can find one that small at the shop. I’ll probably be updating this tomorrow with anymore questions since I can’t make it to the shop tonight. Out of curiosity and probably a long shot but does anyone repop the plastic piece of trim that covers the tailgate inside the car? Mine is pretty beat up/cracked/faded.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Sorry I can't shed any light on the latch situation at this time. It's been quite a while since I've worked on mine.

As for the tailgate inner plastic panel. They're extremely hard to find in good shape. They typically become weather beaten and suffer abuse when the tailgate is down and junk is being dragged over it. Your best bet is to put the word out there that you're looking for one. I've never heard of anyone trying to make one. I suppose if you can find one that needs a little repair work, you might be able to use fiberglass to rejuvenate it.

Reactions: 1 users

Mighty

Greasemonkey
Oct 22, 2022
That’s what I figured, Longroof. I assume the 80’s el Camino tailgates are the same? Incase I ever come across one. Im not super concerned with it since a lot of the plastic trim back there has seem some use I just didn’t want to break it in half putting it back on lol. My dad made the comment to my brother that he would consider taking it on the power tour cruise this year if I can get it going which is why my brother took the initiative to tear it apart I found out. So the back window doesn’t keep opening and closing. The more I look around underneath of it the more stuff I find that needs done though. I’m already planning on pulling the Holley blue electric fuel pump off of it and just putting a mechanical one on instead

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
That’s what I figured, Longroof. I assume the 80’s el Camino tailgates are the same? Incase I ever come across one. Im not super concerned with it since a lot of the plastic trim back there has seem some use I just didn’t want to break it in half putting it back on lol. My dad made the comment to my brother that he would consider taking it on the power tour cruise this year if I can get it going which is why my brother took the initiative to tear it apart I found out. So the back window doesn’t keep opening and closing. The more I look around underneath of it the more stuff I find that needs done though. I’m already planning on pulling the Holley blue electric fuel pump off of it and just putting a mechanical one on instead
The El Camino tailgates may look similar but I think they differ in size. If someone can take a measurement for you, that would be helpful.

Reactions: 1 user

BlairC_789

Apprentice
Jun 18, 2021
North Carolina
My brother has access to an industrial metal brake and I was thinking about getting a sheet of aluminum or something and having him put a couple bends into it in order to make a tailgate cover that would hold up better than plastic.

Reactions: 1 user

Mighty

Greasemonkey
Oct 22, 2022
That’s not a terrible idea. The rest of the interior on mine is in pretty good shape. My dad bought the car in 1998 or 1999 and someone broke the passenger side window out and tried to steal it. We put a new window in it all those years ago but never put the panel back on. It’s all in the car and I’d like to get it back together as well. The car is 7 years older than I am and I figured a lot of these parts were going to be nonexistent but gbody cars have gotten popular over the last decade or so so I was curious to know if anyone started doing reproduction parts. Not a big deal. Like I said, that was the first time in the 20-25 years that we’ve owned the car that it’s been open. I can live with it.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I have seen threads where chalky interior pieces were saved using bedliner and a high-nap paint roller. No aftermarket resource has stepped up on wagon-specific pieces. Do some digging on the Forum, give it a shot and report how you solved this problem.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Where the panel is cracked, you can 'weld' the vinyl plastic back together with an attachment that goes in a small soldering iron. Search YouTube. Bedliner will hide a multitude of sins...

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor