Malibu wheel opening moldings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I have a 1980 Malibu Classic, which has the wide wheel opening moldings. The moldings that are on the car now are starting to corrode around the wheel opening lip. I found a set of reproduction moldings for sale online, from a person who bought the new repro moldings but sold his car, and now has the moldings up for sale. I've heard stories about the reproduction moldings being narrower than O.E. moldings, so I took a damaged molding that I have here along with me, as well as a tape measure. When I got to the seller's house, I measured both moldings. In this particular case, the reproduction molding was approximately 1/4" narrower at the top center area of the molding, than the O.E. molding. Has anyone else run into this situation? Does anyone here know of a source that carries a reproduction part that more closely matches the width of an O.E. molding? Thanks in advance.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
I never thought of that when I bought mine. Since my Elco didn’t have them originally. I do remember when shopping the web for them that there are some well known companies like Goodmark that atleast put their name on what they sell. That’s what I bought. I’ve done a trial fit but waiting till after paint to insall.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I honestly like the narrower wheel opening mouldings much better. My car came with the wide mouldings and were the first things to go, along with the stick-on side mouldings. I prefer the clean look....no mouldings at all. I even chucked out the rocker panel mouldings as well.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Thanks to everyone for their responses. My Malibu was repainted by a previous owner, and the wheel moldings were left on the car, and just masked off for the respray. When I take off the existing moldings that are on the car now, there is a paint line on the car from the repaint. That's part of the reason why I'm looking for a new set that matches the O.E. width. Doug, do you remember the supplier that you purchased the Goodmark moldings from?

Reactions: 1 user

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Thanks to everyone for their responses. My Malibu was repainted by a previous owner, and the wheel moldings were left on the car, and just masked off for the respray. When I take off the existing moldings that are on the car now, there is a paint line on the car from the repaint. That's part of the reason why I'm looking for a new set that matches the O.E. width. Doug, do you remember the supplier that you purchased the Goodmark moldings from?
I don’t recall. Check online for Goodmark distributors. Find one close by. So you got the OLD USED CAR PAINT JOB. LOL. I was wondering why you were being so picky about the width of the mouldings .

• Haha

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Jeff,
I think what also prompted me to lose the wheel opening mouldings was that there was rust forming underneath them... A no-no for sure.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Thanks alot Doug. I will check. Jack, I know what you're saying. The Malibu is in good shape, and won't be seeing winters or inclement weather (at least if I can help it) as long as I own it.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor