Mallory ignition problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanghaismith

Greasemonkey
Mar 5, 2010
Macon, GA
I installed a Mallory Hyfire VI #685 ignition. I removed the module I was using but retained the magnetic trigger.
When I started the car and checked the timing it was 60 deg. I tried to move the distributor but the vacumm can hit the
heater valve. I was going to reclock the distributor and add some timing by moving the shaft clockwise in relation to the
distributor housing. Can anyone comment on this?

shanghaismith

Greasemonkey
Mar 5, 2010
Macon, GA
pontiacgp said:
did you take the distributor out to work on it? The boxes don't alter your timing
I didn't take the distributor out, just removed the cap, rotor, and module. I added the wiring to hook up the magnetic trigger to the ignition box. When I removed the rotor the plastic was melted at the end of the metal strap and the strap fell out when I set it on my bench. I think I need to take the distributor out for inspection. This box has features that let me retard the timing for starting and for NO2.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
That is strange that your timing jumped to 60 if you never took the distributor out. What type of timing light are you using. The digital timing lights are not recommended with ignition boxes. I would try another timing light no matter what light your using just to verify that timing. I don't a car would run with timing that far advanced.

shanghaismith

Greasemonkey
Mar 5, 2010
Macon, GA
I have an adjustable light. I will try a regular one and see what I get. Before I started this project my base timing was 28 and it idled at 700 rpm. With the new stuff the idle is 1500. That could be from advanced timing, right?

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
Any chance you put the wires back on one post off? That would advance/retard your timing a bit. I can't see any other reason for the timing moving.

shanghaismith

Greasemonkey
Mar 5, 2010
Macon, GA
Already checked that. I have had problems with this Summit brand distributor before. One of the pins that anchor the advance springs broke off and I replaced the shaft and everything attached to it with and old GM shaft. That worked fine. I don't buy Summit brand stuff anymore. I'm wondering if the roll pin that holds the gear on the shaft may have been sheared but it seems if that happened it shouldn't run at all.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
your right, if that pin shears your not going anywhere. I think it has something to do with the light. Like i said I don't think an engine would even fire being 60º advanced

shanghaismith

Greasemonkey
Mar 5, 2010
Macon, GA
I removed the distributor and found a spring and part of the rotor contact tangled and mangled in the reluctor. This was a Summit brand distributor and I would not recommend it to anyone. I now have all the parts for my ignition upgrade on hand. 75 series HEI and Hyfire VI #685 ignition box. The HEI has adjustable vac and mech. advance. The box has adjustable start
retard and high speed retard triggered by NO2 activation. So with all these adjustments I'm thinking the dist. mech adv. will be 20 deg. Base 18 deg.
My question is this: what timing (all in) do you think provides the most performance for the strip? What timing makes for easy starting, 14 deg.?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
What the total timing you that you want. I don't know how your car even ran with those problems you found.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor