Status
Not open for further replies.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
YouTube abides.

For all the complaints about 'this exhaust doesn't fit as advertised', here's a demo on how mandrel bends are made. Imagine planning the bends on a 6-foot section of 3 inch tubing. If you ever tried to bend a brake line or fuel line to fit a complicated path, imagine trying to plan out the coordinate system, length/angle/rotation, just perfect on a huge piece of tube.

Watch 16 gage stainless ripple at 5:05.

• Informative
Reactions: 7 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
This is why the majority of factory exhaust systems are mass-produced crinkle bends. Ain't nobody got time for dat!

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Very cool, I knew they used an insert while bending but had no idea of the actual process.

-dw-

Greasemonkey
Mar 15, 2021
Central MN
Ive been crushing pipe for almost 30yrs. Im ok with that, the goal is to get the smoke out. My Olds I built the system with both crushed and mandrel, runs the same.

Reactions: 1 users

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
This is why the majority of factory exhaust systems are mass-produced crinkle bends. Ain't nobody got time for dat!

I visit a company who bends, welds, assembles complete exhaust systems for the OEM. Just to name a few, GM, Ford, big trucks etc. ALL of their product is mandrel bent.

The process involves quality stations to check for leaks and fit as well. If a system does not fit a car, I doubt it is the fault of the prebent system.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I visit a company who bends, welds, assembles complete exhaust systems for the OEM. Just to name a few, GM, Ford, big trucks etc. ALL of their product is mandrel bent.

The process involves quality stations to check for leaks and fit as well. If a system does not fit a car, I doubt it is the fault of the prebent system.
Nowadays, they may very well be. 40 years makes a difference. Automated systems and tighter and well-seasoned QC lessons learned make it more efficient and cost-effective to do it better now. I.E., more profitable for the company making them. I'd be worried if they didn't improve.

It was just a little over 20 years ago they started with the band clamp brigade for factory exhuasts as well, with better sealing and a tad easier to take apart without having to worry about Captain Crushmore overtightening the standard muffler clamps and ruining the connection. Back in the 80s, for G-bodies (because that's mainly what I GAF about), the majority of factory exhuausts had crinkle fries instead of mandrels apparently. Not saying it was bad, just saying that's how it was. GM no longer builds 40 zillion cars with 60% marketshare anymore either, so there's that thrown into the equation as well.

Newer car's exhausts are right up there with the aftermarket as far as quality. Not 100% there, but pretty darn good considering.

Reactions: 1 users

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
My last car used no exhaust bends. Much easier!!!

Attachments

• 7ACB6A16-BD6C-4B7D-9B9B-B1D113DBE9A6.jpeg
    7ACB6A16-BD6C-4B7D-9B9B-B1D113DBE9A6.jpeg
    512 KB · Views: 75
  • Haha
  • Happy
  • Winner
Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor