Manual Choke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esotericnem

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 29, 2007
I have a Manual Choke on my Edelbrock Carb....do I need it? Because I don't like the cable mounted in my Interior

srercrcr

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2006
San Antonio, Texas
Have you ever tried to start an engine without a choke? Especially when it's cold?

Esotericnem

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 29, 2007
Yeah it doesn't start right away....but my question is, is it required? If it is I'm going to have to hide it or something.

82355supreme

Greasemonkey
May 16, 2006
Wisconsin
No it's not required. As far as starting goes, as long as you're not going to drive it in below freezing weather starting is not really an issue.

Reactions: 1 user

srercrcr

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2006
San Antonio, Texas
I disagree.
The choke's function is to richen up the air/fuel mixture so it will start.
All 4 cycle engines are made with a choke or programmed into the computer. Why would anybody want to defeat that mechanism?

Chevyman85

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2006
Bonney Lake, WA
I'm running a race carb w/out a mech. choke. I don't have any problems with cold starts you just have to prime the hell out of it and hold it at about 2K for 30 sec. and then your good to go! But I also don't run the car unless it is fairly warm outside, I havn't tried to start it in an extreme condition.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
If you are worried about it, just buy a electric choke conversion kit for it. I bought one a few years ago for a Holley 3310 and it was around $30.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor