Manual steering rack

Status
Not open for further replies.

RGBody87

Greasemonkey
Jan 7, 2018
Good afternoon!
I have an 87 Monte Carlo SS and I have a 454 in it with a turbo 400. I’m considering putting in a manual steering rack but I don’t know what is involved and what else I would need parts wise to get this done. Anyone have any advice on it? Installed one? Stay power steering box?
Thanks!

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
I did my 70 with a universal rack, adjustable tie rod ends, rack mount clamp, and then made an intermediate shaft with universal joints to connect to the column. Unless you have a real need for it, I would go with a manual box first. I had a big oil pan and 2 1/4" headers in my car to need the rack.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
If its a straight up drag car you can put a S10 manual steering gearbox in it (not a Rack). Manual Boxes are slow boxes so don't try to slalom or even change lanes fast.

With a big block and TH400 I doubt you'll notice the parasitic losses of a power steering pump on a time slip and parking/driving around would be much easier with a Power box... and if you did notice the pump was slowing you down, get a bigger pulley.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
I agree with UNGN I had a manual box on my cutlass and youll miss the power steering before you leave the garage. On the road its okay but if trying to maneuver or park forget it. With all that extra weight of the 454 I don't think you would be able to turn the wheel if going parking lot speed

Csilvy2000

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2012
Texarkana, AR
I use the manual steering box on two g-bodies. They both are strictly street cars. Neither of them give me any trouble. On the daily driver Supreme, I run a 215/70 r15 tire on front with a 7 inch wheel, on the El Camino, I run a 185/65 r15 with a 4 1/2 drag style wheel. As stated above the turn to turn is more, but as far as effort, not an issue. Both the engines turn a water pump and an alternator. I like simplicity. The El Camino received all new steering linkage parts and it feels good and tight. The Supreme is awaiting all new steering components.

Reactions: 1 user

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
I use the manual steering box on two g-bodies. They both are strictly street cars. Neither of them give me any trouble. On the daily driver Supreme, I run a 215/70 r15 tire on front with a 7 inch wheel, on the El Camino, I run a 185/65 r15 with a 4 1/2 drag style wheel. As stated above the turn to turn is more, but as far as effort, not an issue. Both the engines turn a water pump and an alternator. I like simplicity. The El Camino received all new steering linkage parts and it feels good and tight. The Supreme is awaiting all new steering components.

Simplicity be damned!!!

I want power steering!

• Agree

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
For a street car I don't understand why anyone would want manual steering when on the highway there isn't much of a difference in the feel of the steering but with the manual steering you probably have a 15:1 ratio or maybe a 20:1. With a 15:1 ratio you have less of the chance of steering out of trouble and if you over correct good luck in trying to recover it. There is a reason circle track cars have power steering.

Csilvy2000

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2012
Texarkana, AR
I can honestly say, 'I've never had a power steering leak issue.'
With a big block Chevy, an out of date 3 speed heavy duty transmission, and I'm sure a badass sounding exhaust, there is nothing practical about your car. Just 'man-up' on it and throw a manual box in there. It fits the vibe of your car.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I can honestly say, 'I've never had a power steering leak issue.'
With a big block Chevy, an out of date 3 speed heavy duty transmission, and I'm sure a badass sounding exhaust, there is nothing practical about your car. Just 'man-up' on it and throw a manual box in there. It fits the vibe of your car.

if you need manual steering to prove you're a man then I'll have to wear a dress when driving my GP

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor