Manual to electric seats

Status
Not open for further replies.

purple78monte

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 22, 2022
Does anyone know how big of a pain it would be to go from a manual to electric sliding seat in a 78 Monte the seat in my car is on manual slider tracks and it all tore up but I found a 79 at a junkyard with the same seat in pretty much mint condition but it’s electric would it be a pain to convert over to the electric seat

Reactions: 1 user

88AZSS

Master Mechanic
Mar 13, 2018
Mesa, AZ
Shouldnt be an issue really. Grab the harness from below the seat, along the door sill and up to the power distribution block under the steering column. The power side should be on a plug that unclips from the block and clips into your car. The negative side may tie into the larger harness so you might have to just cut it and run it to a good ground spot. Real simple. Happy to help.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Does anyone know how big of a pain it would be to go from a manual to electric sliding seat in a 78 Monte the seat in my car is on manual slider tracks and it all tore up but I found a 79 at a junkyard with the same seat in pretty much mint condition but it’s electric would it be a pain to convert over to the electric seat
Easiest would be move the manual seat tracks from your seat onto the bottom of the power seat, then recoup the cost of the power seat by selling the power setup to someone who had power seats and busted track/failed transmission....

Read up about the power seat transmission/housing issues. Nothing wrong with converting, and it's simple enough. Just adds to stuff that can break.

Unless your tracks are rusted and jacked up too....

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
My lazy azz loves the power seats. Much more adjustable and comfortable. My question is: where are the power seat controls? If on the seat- EZPZ. Just run a big 10 gauge power wire to the circuit breaker/fuse panel cavity, ground the big black wire, and you are in business. If the controls were on the door, or console, and you don't have them, now it gets interesting. I once had Grand Prix 60/40 power seats in my '81 Malibu wagon. Very plush, but no controls. I figured I'd just fabricate some switches but the power seats have two systems: the seat motor and the motor clutches. I needed double pole, double throw, ON-OFF-ON momentary switches for every operation. So a 6-way seat needed 3 switches, all wired properly and mounted to a plate I hung under the front of the seat. I got it done, enjoyed the seats for over 10 years. But now I demand the OEM switch panel or NO DEAL!

Reactions: 2 users

purple78monte

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 22, 2022
Shouldnt be an issue really. Grab the harness from below the seat, along the door sill and up to the power distribution block under the steering column. The power side should be on a plug that unclips from the block and clips into your car. The negative side may tie into the larger harness so you might have to just cut it and run it to a good ground spot. Real simple. Happy to help.
And my car should have that power distribution block in it already or would I need to take the one from the parts car along with the seat and wiring

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
You should have places in the fuse box for circuit breakers and below them is a socket to plug the power taps into.

fuseblock_Power Tap.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
Get the seats. We’ll help you get it wired in.
Nice score.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor